Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com> on 2007/10/03 11:27:41 UTC

[site] update Quick Help for Contributors (the building instructions)

Hi,
I decided to update the Quick Help for Contributors page [1] and posted a
patch to JIRA 4893 [2]. I only changed the wording in some places to switch
accents. you're welcome to review the patch and submit your comments.

if somebody could read / test the latest Quick Help page and let me know if
there are any technical discrepancies, i'd be very thankful. i guess the
prerequisites part may be out of date or incomplete. for example: do we
actually need MS VS 2003? Do we need the Pro version only, or can users
download a free Express Edition and be done? What about compilers? Will the
MS VS built-in compiler be enough or do we need an external compiler, like
Intel's 9.0?

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/quickhelp_contributors.html

Cheers,
Nadya

Re: [site] update Quick Help for Contributors (the building instructions)

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks for updating us Alexei -  I hadn't realised there were problems with
1.7.

--
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: [site] update Quick Help for Contributors (the building instructions)

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
> could you please also clarify the MS Visual Studio dependency? Do we only
> only support 2003, professional? What about express edition, about 2005?

AFAIK we support VS 2003 on Win32 and VS 2005 on Win64. And that's that.
However, my information can be outdated already.

Alexei

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Ok, thanks.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Alexei,

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Nadya,

Your patch looks good - it definitely makes sense to change the tense for
that page, it reads a lot more easily now.  It's really helpful to have
numbered sections too.  Just a small point, but I wondered why you changed