Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de> on 2004/06/03 15:06:28 UTC

Comparison Forrest / Lenya

I am looking for a comparison of Forrest and Lenya and/or a description of their
relation.

Any hints?

Andreas

Re: Comparison Forrest / Lenya

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> [...]
> IMO it would be cool if Forrest would become a Lenya Publication, which
> doesn't mean it has to be shipped with Lenya ;-)

Did you talked with anybody from forrest about that?

...and how do you see that?

...a top level Apache projekt as lenya publication
...the small fish eats the big one ...nice...;-)

thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la InformaciĆ³n S.A.U.

Re: Comparison Forrest / Lenya

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>I am looking for a comparison of Forrest and Lenya and/or a description of their
>relation.
>
>Any hints?

IMO it would be cool if Forrest would become a Lenya Publication, which
doesn't mean it has to be shipped with Lenya ;-)

Michi

>Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Comparison Forrest / Lenya

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> I am looking for a comparison of Forrest and Lenya and/or a description of their
> relation.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Andreas

Hello Andreas,

right now lenya is using forrest for their own website like most of the
Ant based application of the Apache umbrella. There is as well Maven
based appz which are using Maven for the creation of documentation and
their website. The usage of ant seems to define the usage of forrest for
docu creation due to the fact that forrest use ant as building tool.

The comparison of forrest and lenya directly seems to be quite hard
because they are focusing on different things.

Lenya is a content management system and focuses of workflow, authoring,
  ... all task regarding managing content and creating content.

Forrest on the other site focus on documentation.
"Apache's Forrest lets you focus exclusively on your content, and
automates the rest: nothing more, nothing less. Whether you want to
document an open source project or an internal application, Forrest can
help you build professional, polished documentation." [1]

IMO the "marriage" of them both in certain areas would be a perfect
solution for both projects. I see this marriage in a project with code
name DOCO [2].

I think one step to introduce forrest into lenya would be that the live
site would be optional produced as a forrest app. I am thinking about
using the forrestbot to do that. That would it make possible to deploy
the page on a different server or location. If an application is not
using dynamic content it could be deployed into the www-server of apache
as a static html/pdf-site. One advantage would be the speed ;-).

I just wrote some lines about DOCO in the dev list [3].

king regards
thorsten

[1] http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/05/26/forrest.html
[2] http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Doco
[3]
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&msgNo=4116
--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>

<@c...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <http>http://www.target-x.de</http>
  <motto>
	"My task which I am trying to achieve is,
	by the power of the written word,
	[...] to make you see."
	*Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>