Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/27 06:15:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] Time to release 0.9.0?

It’s been over two months since Storm has entered the Apache incubator.

I think it’s time to release 0.9.0 and move forward with adopting the Apache process for releasing, getting IP clearance, etc.

I’ve not seen much feedback from the community on the release candidates, but from what I’ve seen 0.9.0-rc3 is pretty solid.

That being said, there are two remaining issues that I think should be addressed:

1. https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/pull/726

I’ve not seen this reproduced, but I think it is valid and should be addressed (see my comments in the pull request). I’m okay if we just eliminate the possibility for negative sleep values for now. We can change the implementation later to back off in a predictable way.

2. https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/pull/755

This is arguably cosmetic, but I feel unit tests should pass for any release. (I’d also like to change the release script so it fails if any unit tests don’t pass — I can create an issue for that, and take on the work).

I’m open to suggestions to any other pull requests/issues that anyone feels should be included.

If there are any critical bugs discovered in 0.9.0, we can always release a bug fix release (e.g. 0.9.0.x) outside of Apache.

In a nutshell, I think we need to decide whether we want to fish or cut bait in terms of the move to Apache. I don’t want to see Storm stagnate in the incubator.

I look forward to hearing others’ thoughts on the matter.

- Taylor

Re: [LEGAL] Storm Project Dependencies

Posted by Brian O'Neill <bo...@alumni.brown.edu>.
Done:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1

-brian

---
Brian O'Neill
Chief Architect
Health Market Science
The Science of Better Results
2700 Horizon Drive • King of Prussia, PA • 19406
M: 215.588.6024 • @boneill42 <http://www.twitter.com/boneill42>  •
healthmarketscience.com

This information transmitted in this email message is for the intended
recipient only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If
you received this email in error and are not the intended recipient, or
the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please
contact the sender at the email above and delete this email and any
attachments and destroy any copies thereof. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination, copying or other use of, or taking any action in reliance
upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is strictly prohibited.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian O'Neill <bo...@alumni.brown.edu>.

Posted by Jon Logan <jm...@buffalo.edu>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
(changing subject to better describe the topic —  was "[DISCUSS] Time to release 0.9.0?")

Thanks for the clarification Matt.

I’m not sure why that decision was made. In at least one case I believe there was a source code change in order to make the library work with storm (off the top of my head I forget which one).

Going forward I would like to use all versioned releases if possible. I think it’s just a matter of testing to determine the right versions.

The other concern I have is our dependency on JZMQ which has an LGPL license. The JZMQ library is required if using the 0mq transport, but not required if the Netty transport is used.

My understanding is that we would be okay with a source only release (since it wouldn’t include the JZMQ jar), but for a binary release we would have to explicitly exclude the JZMQ jar since Apache releases cannot contain LGPL-licensed works.

Am I correct? Or would we have to entirely eliminate 0mq/JZMQ as a dependency?

We’re kind of okay if it is the latter, since we have an alternative to the 0mq transport. But the Netty transport is young compared to the 0mq transport, and some folks might not be comfortable with it until it has seen more productions time.

Re: [DISCUSS] Time to release 0.9.0?

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Matt that helps a lot.

We anticipated delays in the first Apache release, hence the desire to get a non-Apache 0.9.0 release out to our community before that move (the community has been waiting for 0.9.0 for a long time).

We’ve already started/completed a number of items in the list.

One issue that might be the biggest wrinkle has to do with the fact that some of Storm’s dependencies are forks of other projects.

For example, if you look at the project file for storm-core [1] you will see a few dependencies with the “storm” groupId:

1. storm/libthrift7 — This is (AFAIK) a point-in-time fork of Apache Thrift. The only modification was to change the package names. Impetus behind this is discussed here [2]. The source repository *appears* to be here [3].

2. backtype/jzmq — Looks like just a point-in-time fork. [4]

3. storm/carbonite [5] — Looks like the modifications here are just to pull in a different version [6] of kryo as a transient dependency. I can’t seem to find the source for the storm/kryo dependency.

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Marz <na...@nathanmarz.com>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for volunteering to help out with this Bobby.

We can figure out what we want to do in terms of CI once we get 0.9.0 out the door and can focus on moving to the Apache process.

- Taylor

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Agreed.

I think one of the top priorities will be to work with Apache INFRA to get some sort of CI environment set up.

Posted by James Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.