Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Pavan Sudheendra <pa...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/29 04:43:28 UTC

GSoc 2013!

Hi all,
I'm working at Cisco India and i'm really interested in contribute to
CouchDB as a part of GSoC 2013.
I work with CouchDB and it is fantastic. So, this is the right time to give
back to the community i feel.

I was interested in the issue: providing internal and user facing
statistics..

Can anybody recommend what are the right steps to go about doing this?

--
Regards-
Pavan

Re: GSoc 2013!

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
What kind of stats? We currently collect and report the following
statistics through /_stats;

{couchdb, database_writes, "number of times a database was changed"}.
{couchdb, database_reads, "number of times a document was read from a
database"}.
{couchdb, open_databases, "number of open databases"}.
{couchdb, open_os_files, "number of file descriptors CouchDB has open"}.
{couchdb, request_time, "length of a request inside CouchDB without MochiWeb"}.
{couchdb, auth_cache_hits, "number of authentication cache hits"}.
{couchdb, auth_cache_misses, "number of authentication cache misses"}.

{httpd, bulk_requests, "number of bulk requests"}.
{httpd, requests, "number of HTTP requests"}.
{httpd, temporary_view_reads, "number of temporary view reads"}.
{httpd, view_reads, "number of view reads"}.
{httpd, clients_requesting_changes, "number of clients for continuous
_changes"}.

{httpd_request_methods, 'COPY', "number of HTTP COPY requests"}.
{httpd_request_methods, 'DELETE', "number of HTTP DELETE requests"}.
{httpd_request_methods, 'GET', "number of HTTP GET requests"}.
{httpd_request_methods, 'HEAD', "number of HTTP HEAD requests"}.
{httpd_request_methods, 'POST', "number of HTTP POST requests"}.
{httpd_request_methods, 'PUT', "number of HTTP PUT requests"}.

{httpd_status_codes, '200', "number of HTTP 200 OK responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '201', "number of HTTP 201 Created responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '202', "number of HTTP 202 Accepted responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '301', "number of HTTP 301 Moved Permanently responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '304', "number of HTTP 304 Not Modified responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '400', "number of HTTP 400 Bad Request responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '401', "number of HTTP 401 Unauthorized responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '403', "number of HTTP 403 Forbidden responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '404', "number of HTTP 404 Not Found responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '405', "number of HTTP 405 Method Not Allowed responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '409', "number of HTTP 409 Conflict responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '412', "number of HTTP 412 Precondition Failed responses"}.
{httpd_status_codes, '500', "number of HTTP 500 Internal Server Error

B.

Re: GSoc 2013!

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 29 April 2013 04:43, Pavan Sudheendra <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm working at Cisco India and i'm really interested in contribute to
> CouchDB as a part of GSoC 2013.

Hi Pavan,

Welcome -- that's great! You can either pick your own topic (like what
you have proposed) or consider one of the ones we've published which
were taken from our feature roadmap at
https://s.apache.org/welcome_couchdb_gsoc2013

> I work with CouchDB and it is fantastic. So, this is the right time to give
> back to the community i feel.
>
> I was interested in the issue: providing internal and user facing
> statistics..
>
> Can anybody recommend what are the right steps to go about doing this?
>
> --
> Regards-
> Pavan

As Bob's said we already have some functionality available, but this
could obviously be extended. I have a partial fork at
https://github.com/dch/couchdb/commits/metrics which allows sending
the same statistics from the API /_stats to graphite, so you can see
where the hooks are today. In discussing that commit, we decided it
would be better if the destination would be pluggable. i.e. use
folsom, graphite, librato or something else at your discretion and
only need to write the extension module. I've had some thoughts about
this but not come up with a working solution yet.

What sort of additional metrics would you like to add? Or are you
tempted by some of the other ideas? We'd love to have you onboard.

Bob & I are both on IRC most of the time, so feel free to pop into
#couchdb-dev again and have a chat.

A+
Dave