Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO)" <ha...@agenciaclick.com.br> on 2004/03/03 23:48:09 UTC

[1/2 OT] six thinking hats

>From time to time I see the same thing: discussions about the future, which
container is better, which approach is better.. The reason of discussion
always got forgotten and then we see ourselfs in a battle of egos.

One thing for sure, this battle has losers: all Avalon community - including
our users.

It will be nice if we stop for a while and try to see the point of
discussion from different perspectives - and not only as a personal attack.

This book is about this and have a very nice excerpt:

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTED_07.htm

* White Hat:
With this thinking hat you focus on the data available. Look at the
information you have, and see what you can learn from it. Look for gaps in
your knowledge, and either try to fill them or take account of them.
This is where you analyze past trends, and try to extrapolate from
historical data.

* Red Hat:
'Wearing' the red hat, you look at problems using intuition, gut reaction,
and emotion. Also try to think how other people will react emotionally. Try
to understand the responses of people who do not fully know your reasoning.

* Black Hat:
Using black hat thinking, look at all the bad points of the decision. Look
at it cautiously and defensively. Try to see why it might not work. This is
important because it highlights the weak points in a plan. It allows you to
eliminate them, alter them, or prepare contingency plans to counter them.
Black Hat thinking helps to make your plans 'tougher' and more resilient. It
can also help you to spot fatal flaws and risks before you embark on a
course of action. Black Hat thinking is one of the real benefits of this
technique, as many successful people get so used to thinking positively that
often they cannot see problems in advance. This leaves them under-prepared
for difficulties.

* Yellow Hat:
The yellow hat helps you to think positively. It is the optimistic viewpoint
that helps you to see all the benefits of the decision and the value in it.
Yellow Hat thinking helps you to keep going when everything looks gloomy and
difficult.

* Green Hat:
The Green Hat stands for creativity. This is where you can develop creative
solutions to a problem. It is a freewheeling way of thinking, in which there
is little criticism of ideas. A whole range of creativity tools can help you
here.

* Blue Hat:
The Blue Hat stands for process control. This is the hat worn by people
chairing meetings. When running into difficulties because ideas are running
dry, they may direct activity into Green Hat thinking. When contingency
plans are needed, they will ask for Black Hat thinking, etc.

Hope this can make any different, at least for a while.

cheers,
hammett

Re: [1/2 OT] six thinking hats

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2004 06:48, Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia -
> SPO) wrote:
>

>>* White Hat:
>>* Red Hat:
>>* Black Hat:
>>* Yellow Hat:
>>* Green Hat:
>>* Blue Hat:
>

> I think all of these hats are used all the time by all the people here  :o)

Umm ... I've got a white hat with a gray band and this tiny little thing
on the side with a touch of green and black and red and a hint of magenta.

:-(

Re: [1/2 OT] six thinking hats

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
SPO) wrote:

> * White Hat:
> * Red Hat:
> * Black Hat:
> * Yellow Hat:
> * Green Hat:
> * Blue Hat:

I think all of these hats are used all the time by all the people here  :o)

Unfortunately not "on the same subject", but Black Hat on your proposal and
Yellow/Green on my own...

Niclas