Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/19 17:17:20 UTC

Hibernate migration strategy Was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] OpenMeetings

Hello,
As for migrating from Hibernate, I see several alternatives for persistence.
Enterprise Java experts, please, could you comment on this?

1. stackoverflow.com suggested using Spring as a persistence technology. My
friend said that it requires coding, but you get manageable, clear and
transparent application. We already use Spring as a dependency.

2. Using JPA from Java 6 JPA allows using less libraries and being more
compatible with Google App Engine. The latter may help general users to host
the web application.

3. Does OpenJPA suggested by Niclas offer any benefits compared to JPA?
Synergy is good, but there may be other benefits I cannot see. Sorry for my
ignorance.

Thanks.
P.S. Ross, it would be really nice to get you as a mentor.
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:

> 2009/11/18 Sebastian Wagner <se...@gmail.com>:
> > we would like to propose Openmeetings project to join the incubator.
> >
> > Full Proposal:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenmeetingsProposal
>
> Calling a vote is premature. Therefore my vote is -1.
>
> Your proposal does not yet have a confirmed champion and you don't
> have sufficient mentors yet.
>
> I'm still toying with the idea of mentoring, but I'm still unclear
> with respect to the legal situation. I've not seen a clear consensus
> that it will ever be possible to produce a cleanly licensed
> application that does not require the use of LGPL/GPL code.
>
> Ross

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://www.telecom-express.ru/
http://harmony.apache.org/
http://www.expressaas.com/
http://openmeetings.googlecode.com/

Re: Hibernate migration strategy Was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] OpenMeetings

Posted by Sebastian Wagner <se...@gmail.com>.
hi,

we are using Hibernate 3.4.
We use no Spring Managed Transaction Manager at this moment in OpenMeetings.
We we have a lot of HQL Queries in the our OM-Layer. I read that ...
I think I better switch to the openJPA mailing list as I do have a lot of
questions regardign migration in detail.

thanks,
sebastian

Sebastian Wagner
http://www.webbase-design.de
http://openmeetings.googlecode.com
http://www.laszlo-forum.de
seba.wagner@gmail.com

Re: Hibernate migration strategy Was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] OpenMeetings

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hello Alexei,

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

On Nov 19, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

> Hello,
> As for migrating from Hibernate, I see several alternatives for
> persistence.
> Enterprise Java experts, please, could you comment on this?
>
> 1. stackoverflow.com suggested using Spring as a persistence
> technology. My
> friend said that it requires coding, but you get manageable, clear and
> transparent application. We already use Spring as a dependency.

Spring includes OpenJPA for persistence, in addition to JDBC/SQL
wrappers. JDBC isn't really a substitute for Hibernate. If you're used
to the domain object model for persistence, going back to writing SQL
for everything might be a disappointment.

> 2. Using JPA from Java 6 JPA allows using less libraries and being
> more
> compatible with Google App Engine. The latter may help general users
> to host
> the web application.

JPA is a technology, not an implementation. If you use JPA (my
recommendation) as a replacement for Hibernate, you can choose among
several commercial and non-commercial implementations, e.g.
DataNucleus, OpenJPA, TopLink, or Hibernate.

> 3. Does OpenJPA suggested by Niclas offer any benefits compared to
> JPA?
> Synergy is good, but there may be other benefits I cannot see. Sorry
> for my
> ignorance.

Other projects both inside and outside Apache http://openjpa.apache.org/powered-by.html
  depend on the JPA interface and OpenJPA implementation for their
Java persistence requirements. The OpenJPA users mailing list is
responsive and there are lots of Apache folk who are happy to help.

The nice thing about using JPA is that you can run it on OpenJPA but
users of OpenMeeting in the field can choose another JPA
implementation if they have strong preferences for .

Craig

> Thanks.
> P.S. Ross, it would be really nice to get you as a mentor.
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> 2009/11/18 Sebastian Wagner <se...@gmail.com>:
>>> we would like to propose Openmeetings project to join the incubator.
>>>
>>> Full Proposal:
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenmeetingsProposal
>>
>> Calling a vote is premature. Therefore my vote is -1.
>>
>> Your proposal does not yet have a confirmed champion and you don't
>> have sufficient mentors yet.
>>
>> I'm still toying with the idea of mentoring, but I'm still unclear
>> with respect to the legal situation. I've not seen a clear consensus
>> that it will ever be possible to produce a cleanly licensed
>> application that does not require the use of LGPL/GPL code.
>>
>> Ross

> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
> http://www.telecom-express.ru/
> http://harmony.apache.org/
> http://www.expressaas.com/
> http://openmeetings.googlecode.com/

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Hibernate migration strategy Was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] OpenMeetings

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
While I think that this thread is important to take place before the
potential podling graduates, I have a simple question that is about
the point of order.  We don't really need to resolve this particular
issue before we vote on this podling do we?  Won't this issue be a
problem for the mentors and the podling community to resolve?  If they
can't then the podling bids a cheery adieu.

IIUC, the only thing that they are missing is a champion and a a few
mentors, no?

Again, I'm not trying to quash this thread.  Just curious.  :)

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/19 Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>:
> 3. Does OpenJPA suggested by Niclas offer any benefits compared to JPA?
> Synergy is good, but there may be other benefits I cannot see. Sorry for my
> ignorance.

OpenJPA == JPA in that JPA is a specification and OpenJPA is an
implementation of that spec. I don't think I've actually used OpenJPA.
I did use JPA with Hibernate's implementation on one project.
Essentially, if the project chose JPA as the persistence mechanism it
would get rid of Hibernate as a requirement.

Greg

Re: Hibernate migration strategy Was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] OpenMeetings

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
No. We froze the JPA compatibility effort started some time ago.
Cayenne uses its own persistence API.

Cheers,
Andrus

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 11/19/2009 05:49 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> If you are going to do a rewrite, yet another option is to use Apache
> Cayenne, which has all the features of a modern ORM (plus a few more)
> and is also rather friendly to beginners:
>
> http://cayenne.apache.org/

So cayenne is JPA-enabled?

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: Hibernate migration strategy Was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] OpenMeetings

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
If you are going to do a rewrite, yet another option is to use Apache
Cayenne, which has all the features of a modern ORM (plus a few more)
and is also rather friendly to beginners:

http://cayenne.apache.org/

Then maybe we can collaborate with OpenMeetings to make sure Cayenne
works on Google App Engine ;-)

Cheers,
Andrus