Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/29 06:10:55 UTC

Question about 'svn move' and commit behaviour in the repository.

Hi all,

Sorry, in case it is answered before, but could not find by googling.  I'm
running Subversion 1.6.1 with apache httpd 2.2.11 with LDAP on CentOS 5.x.
I have following structure of the repository named MyRepo :

/trunk
   - folderA/
   - folderB/
   - folderC/

/trunk has these three folders. What I did was created a WC of /trunk and
run the following command to move "folderA" into "folderC"  :

svn move http://myserver.mydomain.com/svn/MyRepo/folderA
http://myserver.mydomain.com/svn/MyRepo/folderC -m "folderA moved to
folderC"

and command run successfully and new revision committed in the repository.
I checked in the repository and folder it moved, but when I right click and
show log of that folder it says folder does not exist but TortoiseSVN Repo
browser shows that folder is moved and it is visible.

 http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.6/svn.ref.svn.c.move.html says that it is
possible to move WC--> WC and URL-->URL.  But i'm not sure if I'm missing
something here?

Does URL-->URL move retain the history too ?

Can someobdy point as to what is wrong here?

Thanks.
RR

Re: Question about 'svn move' and commit behaviour in the repository.

Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt <
subversion-2012c@ryandesign.com> wrote:

Right, and important to understand: you didn't even need to have a working
> copy to do that. Because you used URLs to the repository, the copy happened
> directly in the repository.

  Thanks Ryan, I have read the book and it says URL-->URL and it happened
directly in the repository. But can not see it!

> Your working copy is out of date. Update it.

  I have updated the WC but still it does not show the changes / commit.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 28, 2012, at 23:10, Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> /trunk has these three folders. What I did was created a WC of /trunk and run the following command to move "folderA" into "folderC"  :
>
> svn move http://myserver.mydomain.com/svn/MyRepo/folderA  http://myserver.mydomain.com/svn/MyRepo/folderC -m "folderA moved to folderC"
>
> and command run successfully and new revision committed in the repository.

Right, and important to understand: you didn't even need to have a working copy to do that. Because you used URLs to the repository, the copy happened directly in the repository.

> I checked in the repository and folder it moved, but when I right click and show log of that folder it says folder does not exist but TortoiseSVN Repo browser shows that folder is moved and it is visible.
>
>  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.6/svn.ref.svn.c.move.html says that it is possible to move WC--> WC and URL-->URL.  But i'm not sure if I'm missing something here?
>
> Does URL-->URL move retain the history too ?

Yes.

http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#hidden-log

Re: Question about 'svn move' and commit behaviour in the repository.

Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Thorsten Schöning
<ts...@am-soft.de>wrote:

Thanks Thorsten for your reply.

> Where did you right click to show the log, in the WC, before or after
> running update or in the repo browser? What are the settings about
> ignoring paths etc. in the log dialog?

 Right clicked using in repository using TortoiseSVN .. on the folder which
was newly added, also after updating the WC I also tried to see the log but
it does not show me new added folder and its history.
 Different options "include merged revisions" and all other options tried
but same result.

Thanks.

Re: Question about 'svn move' and commit behaviour in the repository.

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Ravi Roy,
am Samstag, 29. September 2012 um 06:10 schrieben Sie:

> and command run successfully and new revision committed in the repository.
> I checked in the repository and folder it moved, but when I right click and
> show log of that folder it says folder does not exist but TortoiseSVN Repo
> browser shows that folder is moved and it is visible.

Where did you right click to show the log, in the WC, before or after
running update or in the repo browser? What are the settings about
ignoring paths etc. in the log dialog?

Does URL-->>URL move retain the history too ?

Yes.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--