Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2017/12/06 11:12:04 UTC

Taverna Server documentation

I had a look at the documentation included in the Taverna Server git
repository https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-server

Both install and usage are quite extensive, and describes both how to
install it and how the services are invoked.

For some reason these where in the repository as binary PDF and DOCX
files which personally I find a bit odd for a server product.

They also had some outdated references to Univ of Manchester and
Taverna 2.5.

So I changed it to more open formats MarkDown and ODT and added the
Apache License headers:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-server/blob/master/install.md
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-server/blob/master/install.odt
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-server/blob/master/usage.md
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-server/blob/master/usage.odt

Some more tidy-up could be done (e.g. use ```code``` blocks for the XML
examples).

The documentation seems very overlapping (or equal) to the 2.5
Taverna Server documentation that also lives online in the old wiki:

https://taverna.incubator.apache.org/documentation/server/

.. but I have not checked this page by page.

What do you think:

Is the Markdown version more or less maintainable?
  (e.g. the tables can get messy)

Do we keep maintaining the OpenDocument versions (packaged as PDF in release)?

Do we keep the Markdown documentation as part of the git repository (and
hence the Taverna Server distribution), or move it to the
taverna.apache.org website? (it would probably work out of the
box)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: Taverna Server documentation

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Hmm.. I had a good fight with Markdown. It seemed to think that the
indentation of the config block (intending <pre>) was actually a
continuation of the unordered list above.. How lovely to not have
start-stop tags, uh..

See now at http://taverna.staging.apache.org/documentation/server/3.1/install#configuration-property-list
(quite a few ctrl-shift-R seems to be needed)

The Workflow State diagram I hacked together quickly using
https://www.draw.io/ as the one in the .docx was hard to get to look
good outside Word.

So this looks kind of OK, so I'll link to that in the announcement.

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
Awesome! Thanks :)

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gale Naylor <ga...@noventussolutions.com>.