Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/07/12 22:14:20 UTC

[Lenya Wiki] Update of "HowToEditWithWebDAV" by Doug Chestnut

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lenya Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by Doug Chestnut:
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/HowToEditWithWebDAV

New page:
= How to Edit your documents with WebDAV =

The default publication in Lenya 1.4 has limited support for creating and editing documents via webDAV.  Below are the steps you can follow to use Dreamweaver or windows xp to edit your publication (which is based on the default pub).

== Dreamweaver Setup ==
The steps below are for Dreamweaver MX 2004 but also works with Dreamweaver 4 (with upgrade).

  * Start up Lenya if it isn't running already, I will assume that it is running on localhost
  * Start Dreamweaver, click on the "Site" menu, and select "Manage Sites..."
  * Create a new site by clicking on the "New..." button and selecting "Site"
  * Name your site whatever you want, select a folder for the storage of local documents
  * Click on the "Remote Info" Category, and select an Access method of "WebDAV", click on the "Settings..." button
  * Fill in the text fields in the "WebDAV Connection" dialog box with the following and click "OK"
{{{
Username: lenya
Password: levi
Email: lenya
}}}
  * Click "OK" again for the Site Definition dialog box and click "Done" for the Manage Sites dialog box
  * If you don't see your "files" window, click on the "Window" menu and select "Files"
  * Click on the button that looks like a plug and socket
  * You should be presented with a directory tree listing the documents in the default publication
Note: Documents are listed in the same structure that they are via the Lenya web interface.  The structure does not map to the structure of the content directory where the document content resides on the server.
  * From this point, you should be able to Check Out, edit, and Check In a document.
  * If you want to unlock a document that you have checkedout but do not want to upload changes, there is an Undo Check Out option.
  * Assets should be listed in the directory with the name of the document they belong to
  * Refer to the Dreamweaver docs for help if you get lost, or give [http://lenya.apache.org/1_2_x/components/repository/webdav.html#Monitoring+the+WebDAV+exchange Axis] a try if you run into problems

== Windows XP Web Folder Setup ==
  * Goto "My Network Places", I can get to it though my start menu and I have a link to it on my desktop
  * Click on the Network Task "Add a network place", click "next" button on the friendly wizard dialog box
  * Select "Choose another network location" for a Service Provider and click on the "Next" button
  * Enter http://localhost:8888/default/ for the "Internet or network address:", click "Next"
  * Enter the username of lenya and the password of levi, click "OK"
  * Give your network place a name and click "Next"
  * You should get a thataboy message, make sure "Open this network place when I click Finish" is checked, and click "Finish"
  * You should see your authoring folder, open it to see your documents
Note: For some reason I can't open the documents directly, but I can drag and drop and I can "send to".  I can open the documents from Open Office (or other apps) but can't directly save them.
  * You should be able to drag and drop new documents into your web folder

== Known Problems / Things to fix ==
  * In order for the current webDAV interface to work, the client has to identify itself in the User-Agent header and it needs to support http Basic Auth
  * Dreamweaver can't yet make new documents, for some reason it issues a MKCOL before putting a new document, MKCOL isn't handled yet.
  * Attempt to mount the default pub on the Mac (using mount_webdav) fails, I suspect that it doesn't like the disrespect Lenya has for the Depth header currently
  * Assets can be retrieved via GET requests, but can't be PUT.  Don't really know how to handle that.