Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric Douglas <ed...@blockhouse.com> on 2011/10/19 16:46:57 UTC

Example crash

What am I missing?
I downloaded fop.jar from yesterday's snapshot and ran the example
program at
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/ja
va/embedding/ExampleJava2D2PDF.java?view=markup
It crashed.
Stack trace shows:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.fop.svg.PDFGraphics2D.getString(PDFGraphics2D.java:290)
	at
org.apache.fop.svg.PDFDocumentGraphics2D.closePage(PDFDocumentGraphics2D
.java:262)
	at
org.apache.fop.svg.PDFDocumentGraphics2D.finish(PDFDocumentGraphics2D.ja
va:360)

RE: Example crash

Posted by Eric Douglas <ed...@blockhouse.com>.
It appears that test may be hiding the error.
I tried putting your main test logic into a test program I had already
created.
Now I tried creating a new class to put that directly into the main
method and I get this crash on test.

org.apache.fop.render.PrintRendererConfigurator.buildFontListFromConfigu
ration(Lorg/apache/avalon/framework/configuration/Configuration;Ljava/la
ng/String;Lorg/apache/fop/fonts/FontResolver;ZLorg/apache/fop/fonts/Font
Cache;)Ljava/util/List;
	at
org.apache.fop.svg.PDFDocumentGraphics2DConfigurator.configure(PDFDocume
ntGraphics2DConfigurator.java:56)

>From that statement
configurator.configure(g2d, cfg);

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Works fine for me. Getting no error message is hard to believe since the
whole program is in a try..catch(Throwable t). Nothing but a JVM crash
gets around that. All assuming, of course, that you didn't change the
example program.

My console output looks like this:

FOP ExampleJava2D2PDF

Preparing...
Output: PDF (.\out\ResultJava2D2PDF.pdf)

Generating...
Success!

On 19.10.2011 22:19:35 Eric Douglas wrote:
> I found the incorrect build path reference.  Now it just doesn't finish.
> It gets to that statement:
> configurator.configure(g2d, cfg);
> Then doesn't appear to be doing anything.
> It keeps running back to the call:
> configure(g2d, createAutoFontsConfiguration());
> Then jumps right to the finally block, then doesn't execute anything
> after the finally block.
> No error message, it just doesn't work.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: Example crash

There must be something off. Last change to PDFGraphics2D was on
2011-10-15. And in current Trunk the NPE in getString (if any) would
have to happen on line 297, not 290. I'm pretty sure you've still go a
FOP 1.0 JAR in the classpath or something like that. Please check your
classpath.

On 19.10.2011 16:46:57 Eric Douglas wrote:
> What am I missing?
> I downloaded fop.jar from yesterday's snapshot and ran the example
> program at
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/
> ja va/embedding/ExampleJava2D2PDF.java?view=markup
> It crashed.
> Stack trace shows:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at
> org.apache.fop.svg.PDFGraphics2D.getString(PDFGraphics2D.java:290)
> 	at
> org.apache.fop.svg.PDFDocumentGraphics2D.closePage(PDFDocumentGraphics
> 2D
> .java:262)
> 	at
> org.apache.fop.svg.PDFDocumentGraphics2D.finish(PDFDocumentGraphics2D.
> ja
> va:360)

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Example crash

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
There must be something off. Last change to PDFGraphics2D was on
2011-10-15. And in current Trunk the NPE in getString (if any) would
have to happen on line 297, not 290. I'm pretty sure you've still go a
FOP 1.0 JAR in the classpath or something like that. Please check your
classpath.

On 19.10.2011 16:46:57 Eric Douglas wrote:
> What am I missing?
> I downloaded fop.jar from yesterday's snapshot and ran the example
> program at
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/ja
> va/embedding/ExampleJava2D2PDF.java?view=markup
> It crashed.
> Stack trace shows:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at
> org.apache.fop.svg.PDFGraphics2D.getString(PDFGraphics2D.java:290)
> 	at
> org.apache.fop.svg.PDFDocumentGraphics2D.closePage(PDFDocumentGraphics2D
> .java:262)
> 	at
> org.apache.fop.svg.PDFDocumentGraphics2D.finish(PDFDocumentGraphics2D.ja
> va:360)

Jeremias Maerki