Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2012/02/26 14:03:31 UTC

Isis and JEE apps (was: Designing a CRUD Repository interface)

On 24 February 2012 19:29, Vineet Reynolds <vi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>    I've been using Apache Isis for quite some time now, and I'm hugely
> impressed with some of the work in this framework.

Nice to hear.  Which bits work well, and which bits not so well... could
you say?

> [snip]

I've replied on the main query that you raised in the original thread.

... I am attempting to use the domain model constructed with Isis, in a
> Java EE 6 app where the domain objects would be created in facelets and
> managed beans in the presentation tier, eventually used by the application
> and domain layers, finally persisting the objects to JPA repositories.

Just to pick up on this... one of the things I'd like for Isis is to
refactor its modules so that it consists of a bunch of beans that can be
reused in a CDI/JEE6 setting.  There is already a
o.a.i.runtimes.embedded.IsisMetaModel class that can be queried, eg by a
Facelets app, in order to discover the "structure" of the domain objects.

Ultimately though I'd like to decouple some of the other viewers - in
particular, the JSON viewer and perhaps the Wicket layer -  from the
"default" runtime, so that it/they could be used as an out-of-the-box
presentation layer front-end also with a traditional JPA backend.

Does that make sense...?  And if so, would you be interested in helping me
figure out what's missing here to make this a reality?

~~~
Sort of related, another thing I was wondering about was to build an
integration layer with metawidget.org [1].  My suspicion is that this will
involve much the same code (embedded IsisMetaModel).  Does that pique your
interest, at all?

Cheers
Dan

[1] http://metawidget.org/