Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/19 19:04:43 UTC

Axis2/Axiom/Woden OSGi bundle issues, was: Re: Treat axis2 bundles as plain jars

Hi,

The following is a list of issues we ran into. Some of the issues might have
been resolved by Axis2 1.5. I have tried to bring some of them to the
attentions of Axis2 community but it doesn't seem to be very responsive in
the OSGi area :-(.

With Axis2 1.4.1, we have experienced quite a few issues related to OSGi,
especially in the following areas:

1) Some of the axis2 jars (such as axis2-kernel) are OSGi bundles while
others (such as axis2-mtompolicy) are not.

Axis2 1.5 now has a bundle org.apache.axis2.osgi. I posted a question to the
Axis2 dev ML to understand if we should use that one instead of individual
jars but no responses. See:
http://www.mail-archive.com/axis-dev@ws.apache.org/msg46269.html.

2) Axis2 jars have split packages, for example, axis2-kernel and axis2-adb
both have the org.apache.axis2.util package.

3) Some of the Axis2/AXIOM code uses the JAR service provider pattern to
instantiate factories such as XMLInputFactory.newInstance(),
DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance(). These methods depends on the TCCL
which is not OSGi friendly at all.

4) Some of the Axis2 bundles imports "private" packages from xercesImpl,
xalan or woden (Seems to be cleaner in 1.5)
woden-impl-dom still has the issues.

5) We plugin message receivers in axis2.xml. But Axis2 doesn't have a good
way to load the classes outside of Axis2 bundles.

6) Axiom bundle is missing Import-Package to soap11 and soap12 factories.
(Fixed in 1.2.8)

7) Axiom-api 1.2.8 is missing OSGi Import-Package to javax.xml.stream.util
under JDK 1.5:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSCOMMONS-462 (fixed)

Unresolved issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-4311
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-4310

Thanks,
Raymond
Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Any chance you could provide patches to fix those of these that are
still open? Some of these fixes may seem obvious to you but there's
likely a lot of Axis2 committers who aren't OSGi experts and
confronted with a JIRA saying "this osgi thing is wrong" is likely to
be passed over whereas "this osgi thing is wrong and here is a fix"
would make it much easier for any committer to just commit the fix if
it works in the build.

   ...ant

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Raymond,

Can you please open JIRA reports for the remaining issues you see in
Axiom? I will be happy to work with you to fix them.

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Raymond,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.