Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2005/09/03 14:59:27 UTC

[email] Removing dependencies to commons-lang (Bugzilla # 36486)

Hi,

Stephen Colebourne raised the issue during the commons-email voting
that it would be a good thing to remove our dependency to
commons-lang. What is even better, he did not only raise concern but
actually went ahead and created a patch which does it. This is in
bugzilla as #36486.

I looked over it and I do like the concepts (it capsules all the
dependencies into a class called EmailUtils which is package private
and not accessible from the outside) and the implementation. I have
some minor issues with the name (EmailUtils is to generic to me) but
all in all I'd propose that we apply this patch and restart the
voting.

Opinions? I've tested it locally and it works fine.

	Regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [email] Removing dependencies to commons-lang (Bugzilla # 36486)

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> writes:

>> Opinions? I've tested it locally and it works fine.

>Shall we just apply this, or did you want feedback from someone in
>particular?

I just wanted to "heads up" the other commons-email people (robert,
dion, eric).

Personally I'm fine with the patch that you've made. I'm currently
just reviewing a few issues with building and testing the jars on
1.3.1 JDK on Linux but locally here I'm already running c-e with your
patch applied. I plan on working on this today.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stephen Colebourne raised the issue during the commons-email voting
> that it would be a good thing to remove our dependency to
> commons-lang. What is even better, he did not only raise concern but
> actually went ahead and created a patch which does it. This is in
> bugzilla as #36486.
>
> I looked over it and I do like the concepts (it capsules all the
> dependencies into a class called EmailUtils which is package private
> and not accessible from the outside) and the implementation. I have
> some minor issues with the name (EmailUtils is to generic to me) but
> all in all I'd propose that we apply this patch and restart the
> voting.
>
> Opinions? I've tested it locally and it works fine.

Shall we just apply this, or did you want feedback from someone in
particular?

Stephen

Re: [email] Removing dependencies to commons-lang (Bugzilla # 36486)

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
I really haven't had a good chance to look at the patch yet, but will
in the next couple of days. I'll get back to you on it then.

On 9/3/05, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stephen Colebourne raised the issue during the commons-email voting
> that it would be a good thing to remove our dependency to
> commons-lang. What is even better, he did not only raise concern but
> actually went ahead and created a patch which does it. This is in
> bugzilla as #36486.
>
> I looked over it and I do like the concepts (it capsules all the
> dependencies into a class called EmailUtils which is package private
> and not accessible from the outside) and the implementation. I have
> some minor issues with the name (EmailUtils is to generic to me) but
> all in all I'd propose that we apply this patch and restart the
> voting.
>
> Opinions? I've tested it locally and it works fine.
>
>         Regards
>                 Henning

> RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  -- hero for hire
>    Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Development
>
>                       4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Bernard Shaw