Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Niyas Sait <ni...@linaro.org> on 2021/11/05 09:35:49 UTC

CI for win/arm64

Hello,

We recently upstreamed a patch <https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/11383>
to enable Apache arrow C++ and Python library support for the windows/arm64
platform.

I would like to explore if it would be possible to add CI and release build
support for win/arm64 platforms.

There are no WoA64 machines available with any of the cloud providers yet
but we have a couple of machines in linaro woa farm that will be able to
use for CI, release builds, etc.

We have added similar upstreaming testing for a few tools like CPython and
llvm. This can be a temporary step until cloud solutions are available for
win/arm64.

I would like to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this subject and
suggestions on how to do it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Niyas

Re: CI for win/arm64

Posted by Martin Tzvetanov Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 2021/11/05 09:35:49 Niyas Sait wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We recently upstreamed a patch <https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/11383>
> to enable Apache arrow C++ and Python library support for the windows/arm64
> platform.
>
> I would like to explore if it would be possible to add CI and release build
> support for win/arm64 platforms.
>
> There are no WoA64 machines available with any of the cloud providers yet
> but we have a couple of machines in linaro woa farm that will be able to
> use for CI, release builds, etc.
>
> We have added similar upstreaming testing for a few tools like CPython and
> llvm. This can be a temporary step until cloud solutions are available for
> win/arm64.
>
> I would like to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this subject and
> suggestions on how to do it would be helpful.

Arrow uses Github Actions as CI, so it should be possible to set it up (e.g. https://github.com/jay0lee/CPython-Windows-ARM64/blob/master/.github/workflows/blank.yml)
But the problem is that GHA self-hosted runners should not be used for public repositories because of security concerns (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/GitHub+-+self-hosted+runners)
Apache Airflow project uses custom runner to workaround this issue. Maybe this is an option ?!

Martin