Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au> on 2006/05/16 01:21:53 UTC

Best way to contribute code...

I've made some fairly major changes to Lenya, to make it use Enterprise
Java Beans as its storage engine instead of xml files. It is similar to
how the JCR repository works but I believe more powerful as I can extend
a content node to implement various functionality such as shopping
carts, project management, customer relationships etc.

Firstly, I'm wondering if the community has any interest in the code
I've written. I've seen the occasional thread on this list about people
trying to do database type things with Lenya, but not very often. Also
when I've posted to the list about my work in the past it seems to have
generated little interest.

If there is sufficient interest is this code, what would be the best way
to contribute it back to the project? Simple patches would not be
sufficient as I've also changed the directory structure in lenya to make
it possible to put interfaces into a jar file which is shared between
the webapp and the ejb code. I was just thinking of tarring up my lenya
directory, and sticking it on a web server somewhere. Then making a wiki
page with instructions on how to install it and a link to the tar.

Anyone got any ideas?

Michael

Re: Best way to contribute code...

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Michael Ralston wrote:
> I've made some fairly major changes to Lenya, to make it use Enterprise
> Java Beans as its storage engine instead of xml files. It is similar to
> how the JCR repository works but I believe more powerful as I can extend
> a content node to implement various functionality such as shopping
> carts, project management, customer relationships etc.
>
> Firstly, I'm wondering if the community has any interest in the code
> I've written.

definitely
> I've seen the occasional thread on this list about people
> trying to do database type things with Lenya, but not very often. Also
> when I've posted to the list about my work in the past it seems to have
> generated little interest.

I think people are just to busy with their own stuff, so I don't it
means people are not interested

> If there is sufficient interest is this code, what would be the best way
> to contribute it back to the project?

make it available somewhere (either Bugzilla or your own website)
> Simple patches would not be
> sufficient as I've also changed the directory structure in lenya to make
> it possible to put interfaces into a jar file which is shared between
> the webapp and the ejb code.

that's what I would have guessed
> I was just thinking of tarring up my lenya
> directory, and sticking it on a web server somewhere.

makes sense
> Then making a wiki
> page with instructions on how to install it and a link to the tar.

that would be very good

> Anyone got any ideas?

it seems to me that you are on the right track.

Michi

> Michael

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: Best way to contribute code...

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

Michael Ralston wrote:
> I've made some fairly major changes to Lenya, to make it use Enterprise
> Java Beans as its storage engine instead of xml files. It is similar to
> how the JCR repository works but I believe more powerful as I can extend
> a content node to implement various functionality such as shopping
> carts, project management, customer relationships etc.

to me, this sounds quite interesting. Would you mind describing the
advantages to JCR a little more detailed, e.g. with some examples?
I'm sorry that I don't have the time to take a look at your code, but
the concept looks appealing.

> Firstly, I'm wondering if the community has any interest in the code
> I've written. I've seen the occasional thread on this list about people
> trying to do database type things with Lenya, but not very often. Also
> when I've posted to the list about my work in the past it seems to have
> generated little interest.

Please don't feel offended by this lack of apparent interest, it is not
in any way related to your code. IIUC most subscribers to such lists
only follow the (code-related) threads which are immediately related to
their current problems, which is quite normal IMO.

It takes much time to make familiar with someone else's code, and most
developers seem to be somewhat reluctant in this aspect (me too), unless
the code promises to be the holy grail :)

> If there is sufficient interest is this code, what would be the best way
> to contribute it back to the project? Simple patches would not be
> sufficient as I've also changed the directory structure in lenya to make
> it possible to put interfaces into a jar file which is shared between
> the webapp and the ejb code.

In this case, a discussion should precede the donation of code. You
could make a (brief) proposal where you describe the downsides of
the current architecture from your point of view and how they could
be overcome. Hopefully, a thread will develop which indicates the
opinions of the community members regarding your ideas. I guess people
feel much more related to new code if they were involved in its
development, or at least understand the basic concepts. Although
the modules in 1.4 allow to introduce pretty self-contained pieces
of code, I'd very much appreciate if the community gets the chance
to make familiar with it.

> I was just thinking of tarring up my lenya
> directory, and sticking it on a web server somewhere.  Then making a wiki
> page with instructions on how to install it and a link to the tar.

This is certainly useful for single individuals who are interested
in your approach. But if you have the feeling that the Lenya project
could benefit from your ideas, I'd be interested in a high-level
description of the architecture first.

Thank you very much for offering to contribute!

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org