Posted to security-discuss@community.apache.org by Arnout Engelen <en...@apache.org> on 2024/02/19 14:20:39 UTC

Apache SBOM tracking in DependencyTrack

Hello security-discuss,

More and more Apache projects are producing SBOMs as part of their release
process. Challenges producing and consuming SBOMs are definitely on-topic
for this list, and ideally we can consolidate that knowledge on the wiki[0]

If you're interested, we've set up a DependencyTrack[1] instance collecting
SBOMs for various Apache projects at [2]. You can log in with your Apache
id. Note that this is all experimental, we may drop all data at any time ;).

If you know of any other projects to include, would like help setting up
SBOM publishing for your project, contribute 'nightly' SBOM snapshots, or
discuss other things SBOM, I'm all ears!

Kind regards,

Arnout

[0]:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SECURITY/Software+Bill+of+Materials+SBOM
[1]: https://dependencytrack.org/
[2]: https://security-tools-ec2-va.apache.org

Re: Apache SBOM tracking in DependencyTrack

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for this Arnout, I'm planning to help by adding the weekly SBOMs we
are producing at Apache Camel and subprojects.

Please keep me in the loop if you need any help!

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
I think you misunderstood what I said.
Or I don't understand your answer.

But it is off-topic anyway. I'm sorry for derailing the conversation.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
> The "upstream" library SBOM is - in those cases - mostly useful for
> metadata (authorship, provenance maybe, signatures/hashes, licenses
> etc.) but other than that they can be "dangerous" to use.
> The whole SBOM ecosystem is still very immature in my opinion and all
> of these best practices are yet to emerge.
> The Cyber Resilience Act will probably speed that up a bit

Quite agree on both accounts (immature + CRA). I think however that even
such "imperfect" SBOM from libraries has it's value as it can indicate that
"some dependencies" are involved  - and I think this will partially solve
itself when the release cycle speeds up for many libraries (which will be
pretty inevitable effect of CRA IMHO) + VEX.
From my experience I always see the dependencies a bit similar to the

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Piotr P. Karwasz" <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jarek,

On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 at 18:47, Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> wrote:
> I know it's a Python world so it might be a bit different, but I think a
> similar approach can be - I think used for all libraries as well in
> different languages. Over the last few years when we released (long before
> SBOMS and CRA) I've managed to work out a very nice and pretty
> interconnected approach - where everything revolves around knowing what
> complete set of dependencies is "golden" at the moment of release. And this
> is great to see how it nicely fits now with SBOMS (and we have years of
> history that we can reliably tap in to produce SBOMS for all historical
> versions of Airflow 2 and all providers, which is pretty cool..

Apparently this also exists in the Maven world: there is a
`<flattenDependencyMode>` in the Maven Flatten Plugin[1].

So maybe a recommendation we could add in the Wiki is to flatten all
transitive dependencies as direct ones? Without doing this I don't see
a point in publishing an SBOM. This will have some side effects: many
sites like MvnRepository[3] started to integrate vulnerability
warnings. Right now MvnRepository only lists the vulnerabilities of
direct dependencies, if we were to flatten our dependency graphs,
there will be many more warnings.

There are Maven plugins that can check that the resolved version of a
dependency is the upper bound of all the versions in the dependency
tree (e.g. Maven Enforcer plugin [3]). The usage of such plugins
should be recommended to all SBOM consumers, although I am not sure
how popular this could be. We use Dependabot to upgrade our deps, so
our dependencies are always bleeding edge. If an application using
Log4j wants to have deps at least as recent as ours, it must upgrade
several dozens dependencies at each release. That is scary, especially
for applications with a low test coverage.

> > It would be nice to integrate Dependency Track into our release
> process. If the process of uploading SBOMs to Dependency Track is
> simplified, I could:
>
> Oh we absolutely plan to do it as well and publish SBOM by release managers
> automatically at the moment of release :D. And we are not far from that.

Our SBOMs are published together with a release, but we don't have
automatic tools to use them for any kind of verification. The result
is that PMC members don't verify the SBOMs, when they vote.

Piotr

[1] https://www.mojohaus.org/flatten-maven-plugin/flatten-mojo.html#optional-parameters
[2] https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.flume/flume-ng-core/1.11.0
[3] https://maven.apache.org/enforcer/enforcer-rules/requireUpperBoundDeps.html

Re: Apache SBOM tracking in DependencyTrack

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
> Wow, great job! Until recently I had to upload SBOMs to Dependency
Track manually. I suppose you have some sort of script for that?

I looked briefly at it before, but yes I hope that finally this and next
week I will be able to refresh and re-upload all the few hundreds (or even
thousands) of SBOMS for Airflow + our ~90 providers we have :) - see below
- via API (which I already got credentials from Arnout that need
refreshing). We are a bit extreme case, but I think it can show what can be
done when you have a lot of interconnected components released by a PMC
each with own set of dependencies and with the need of those components to
be able to be installed together (including optionality).

> The first challenge that comes to mind is what version of our
transitive dependencies should libraries specify in their SBOMs. I
stress out the case of libraries, because for applications it is
easier: they list the libraries they embed in their distribution.

> There is also another solution in Maven: I could add `bar` as a direct
dependency of my project and bump its version to `1.0.1`. This way
users can also benefit from the version bump, but this adds additional
maintenance work: Dependabot will track new versions of `bar` and the
list of project dependencies becomes long and messy.

> What do you think we should do in this case?

> This is something I've been thinking about for a while: a (Maven) project
should not have optional dependencies. It just makes a mess in the end and
usually surprises users with class not found errors at runtime.

I can share a complete experience on how we are doing it all in  Airflow.

We have had a solution for it for a long time - and perfected over time (I
introduced it some 4 years ago, before we started releasing Airflow 2). We
are using the mechanism of constraints of pip for that. Together with every
release of Airflow (Airflow is rather special because it is both
application and library) we produce a complete set of dependencies
(including transitive) frozen at release time [1]. This is all fully
automated and built-in our CI - the constraints are upgraded and
automatically committed after every successful CI "canary" build and those
are the frozen dependencies most of our PRs are tested against (so that new
versions of released dependencies are not impacting regular PRs. Whenever
we release Airflow we freeze the constraints with a tag in GitHub. For
example [2] are the frozen constraints for Airflow 2.8.1

Those are the "golden set" of dependencies which were available at the
moment of release of Airflow X.Y.Z and provider(s) N.M.O. We now have a
mechanism to generate SBOMS for past versions of Airflow using those (and
this is how we are going to continue also in the future). So basically our
SBOM is a snapshot of all the "highest non-conflicting" versions of
dependencies at the moment of release of a given component version. I think
that's the most reasonable approach for us, maybe it can be applied for
others. And what's interesting - those constraints are a complete set of
dependencies for Airflow + ALL OPTIONAL sets of dependencies. In our case -
every provider we release is such an optional set of dependencies.

Note - those "golden" constraints are also the mechanism we recommend our
users to install Airflow in reproducible way [3] (because we want to keep
our upper-bound limits mostly opened, allowing the users to upgrade to new
versions of dependencies released after we release Airflow, but since they
can break Airflow we also wanted to have a way to be able to install
Airflow in a reproducible way by our users even if someone releases future
version of dependency that breaks Airflow).  So choosing those "frozen"
constraints as source of SBOMS is very good for us - because those are also
user-facing and the actual way we recommend users to install airflow is
with those versions. Also reference images we publish (and freeze at
release time [4]) use the very same set of constraints.

I know it's a Python world so it might be a bit different, but I think a
similar approach can be - I think used for all libraries as well in
different languages. Over the last few years when we released (long before
SBOMS and CRA) I've managed to work out a very nice and pretty
interconnected approach - where everything revolves around knowing what
complete set of dependencies is "golden" at the moment of release. And this
is great to see how it nicely fits now with SBOMS (and we have years of
history that we can reliably tap in to produce SBOMS for all historical
versions of Airflow 2 and all providers, which is pretty cool..

> It would be nice to integrate Dependency Track into our release
process. If the process of uploading SBOMs to Dependency Track is
simplified, I could:

Oh we absolutely plan to do it as well and publish SBOM by release managers
automatically at the moment of release :D. And we are not far from that.

[1] https://github.com/apache/airflow/commits/constraints-main/
[2] https://github.com/apache/airflow/commits/constraints-2.8.1/
[3]
https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow/stable/installation/installing-from-pypi.html
[4]
https://airflow.apache.org/docs/docker-stack/index.html#fixing-images-at-release-time

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnout Engelen <en...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 6:12 PM Piotr P. Karwasz <pi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Wow, great job! Until recently I had to upload SBOMs to Dependency
> Track manually. I suppose you have some sort of script for that?

Yes - it's very crude for now, but we can iterate on that when it works out.

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 at 15:20, Arnout Engelen <en...@apache.org> wrote:
> > More and more Apache projects are producing SBOMs as part of their
> release
> > process. Challenges producing and consuming SBOMs are definitely on-topic
> > for this list, and ideally we can consolidate that knowledge on the
> wiki[0]
>
> The first challenge that comes to mind is what version of our
> transitive dependencies should libraries specify in their SBOMs. I
> stress out the case of libraries, because for applications it is
> easier: they list the libraries they embed in their distribution.

I think that's exactly the kinds of questions we should be asking!

> I am a big fan of Maven's dependency management, so whenever our
> direct dependency `foo` depends on a vulnerable `bar-1.0.0`, I bump
> the version of `bar` in the dependency management section of my
> project to `1.0.1` and the problem is solved! My test suite will run
> using `bar-1.0.1`, my SBOM will contain `bar-1.0.1` and Dependency
> Track will not complain.
>
> However this is just a trick: users of my library will still have
> `bar-1.0.0` on their classpath, unless they also bump the version of
> `bar` or the `foo` project releases a version that depends on
> `bar-1.0.1`.

Indeed! And even for your direct dependencies, your users' dependencies or
dependencyManagement might pull in other versions - or they might use other
build tools that behave different still.

> There is also another solution in Maven: I could add `bar` as a direct
> dependency of my project and bump its version to `1.0.1`. This way
> users can also benefit from the version bump, but this adds additional
> maintenance work: Dependabot will track new versions of `bar` and the
> list of project dependencies becomes long and messy.
>
> What do you think we should do in this case?

First and foremost I think we should discover and document these
limitations of the various approaches and tools. For example, the above
nicely illustrates SBOMs being available for libraries is no substitute for
doing your own analysis in a project using those libraries.

Vice-versa, however, ignoring the SBOMs for your dependencies also seems
imperfect: say that dependency 'vendored in' some code from another
project, and nicely expressed that in their SBOM - if you then just throw
away that information if you generate yours 'purely' based on the maven
artifacts in your dependency tree.

> > If you know of any other projects to include, would like help setting up
> > SBOM publishing for your project, contribute 'nightly' SBOM snapshots, or
> > discuss other things SBOM, I'm all ears!
>
> It would be nice to integrate Dependency Track into our release
> process. If the process of uploading SBOMs to Dependency Track is
> simplified, I could:
>
>  * compile a snapshot,
>  * check if there are dependency alerts (Dependabot gives us alerts
> for direct dependencies, but not the transitive ones),
>  * bump the vulnerable transitive dependency versions (if possible),
>  * prepare a release candidate.

Doing this during the release seems somewhat late - perhaps it would make
sense to do this in some nightly/weekly/... CI job?

Kind regards,

--
Arnout Engelen
ASF Security Response

Re: Apache SBOM tracking in DependencyTrack

Posted by "Piotr P. Karwasz" <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arnout,

Posted by Arnout Engelen <en...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 3:43 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can the view deal with components that have BOTH CDX and SPDX like Commons
> components do?

Unfortunately as Lars linked it seems currently DependencyTrack doesn't
support SPDX

> What is the refresh rate? For example, I just pushed out (last night
> GMT-5) Apache Commons Compress 1.26.0 for two CVE fixes. But, the view
> still shows 1.25.0.

Currently it is "whenever I feel like it" :D. I just added 1.26.0.

> If not, will the view for 1.25.0 currently on display be updated to show
> the CVEs automatically?

I think DependencyTrack will only show CVEs for dependencies: so
https://security-tools-ec2-va.apache.org/projects/9137d80e-c379-4b8e-a58c-4f39fb457451
shows nothing 'itself', but for example
https://security-tools-ec2-va.apache.org/projects/da8dba92-c62c-4a8e-97b2-c5376dcf1c17/findings
does show 'this library uses commons-compress which has an advisory'.

Arnout

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the info Lars.

FYI over at Apache Commons, we use both CDX and SPDX through Maven
plugins, easy enough. Eventually one will win or we'll follow the
https://xkcd.com/927/ path ;)

Gary

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary,