Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Vinay Agarwal <Vi...@hotmail.com> on 2007/04/24 19:15:04 UTC

Definition of Derivative Work under OFBiz Framework

Hello,

Is there a legal opinion published whether inclusion of a GPL'ed
"application" invoked through ECAs, does or doesn't make the entire OFBiz
installation a derivative work? As we know, invocation of an application
through operating system (normally through exec etc.) does not make the
calling application a derivative work. So, in this case, are ECAs similar to
operating system exec calls? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vinay Agarwal

Re: Definition of Derivative Work under OFBiz Framework

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
The things to keep in mind is the second bit I mentioned, and that
makes it even simpler than the Linux OS case.

In the OFBiz case there is no Apache License v2 code calling GPL/HPL
code, it is only the other way around. The GPL/HPL code uses the AL2
only. With that setup the GPL has no effect.

If your changes rely only the AL2 licensed code (ie the main OFBiz
code) then there is no encumbrance. If your code does rely on (call,
etc) the GPL/HPL code, then you MUST abide by the terms of those
licenses.

-David

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Vinay,
Unless you're looking for a technicality or a loophole theory (any of
which are for the most part, untested by U.S. case law), it would
probably be better to ask a project that uses those licenses as they'd
be more familiar with the ins and outs...that or an Intellectual
Property lawyer.

Regards,
Chris

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.