Posted to general@attic.apache.org by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk> on 2009/04/22 22:31:21 UTC

Hivemind fork

Re: Hivemind fork

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Raffael Herzog <he...@raffael.ch> wrote:
> Am Montag, 27. April 2009 08.05:25 schrieb Henning Schmiedehausen:
>> I pretty much agree with Mads. Attic should not take any active role in
>> modifying the code base before anyone takes it off-Apache. The whole
>> point of Attic is *not* doing this. :-)
>
> Well, maybe we moved on a bit too progressively, but actually, the code has
> already been taken off-Apache and some work has already been done:
>
> https://scm.ops4j.org/repos/ops4j/laboratory/hivemind/

<snip>

> - We just leave it forever?

Might as well. Copyright statements in source is extremely common, so
it's not as if you'll have anything odd about having to keep the
copyright statements in the source files. At this point in your
community it would probably be more damaging to pause things and
restart.

Hen

Re: Hivemind fork

Posted by Raffael Herzog <he...@raffael.ch>.
Am Montag, 27. April 2009 08.05:25 schrieb Henning Schmiedehausen:
> I pretty much agree with Mads. Attic should not take any active role in
> modifying the code base before anyone takes it off-Apache. The whole
> point of Attic is *not* doing this. :-)

Well, maybe we moved on a bit too progressively, but actually, the code has
already been taken off-Apache and some work has already been done:

https://scm.ops4j.org/repos/ops4j/laboratory/hivemind/

For explanation:

- hivemind1 is a copy of the HiveMind 1 trunk
- hivemind2 is a copy of the HiveMind 2 trunk
- devel is a branch of HiveMind 1, where we made our first changes

The two copies from Apache's source repository are completely unmodified,
except the inconsistent newlines in the XML files.

The plan is to release ASAP what would have been HiveMind 1.2 under a new
name. Based on this, we'd like to provide support and maintenance, i.e.
there won't be any new features, bug fixes only.

After that, we're going to start development of a NextGen HiveMind based on
hivemind2.

So, what's the proposal?

- Someone from Apache changes it in the OPS4J repository?
- Apache changes it at Apache and we merge the changes?
- Apache changes it at Apache and we start over?
- We just leave it forever?

It seems a bit unfortunate, that something like this happens with the first
project being moved to the Attic, then again, that's part of the learning
process of how to do that, I guess ... ;)

Cheers,
   Raffi

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is
no difference, but in practice, there is.

herzog@raffael.ch · Jabber: herzog@raffael.ch
PGP Key 0x5FFDB5DB5D1FF5F4 · http://keyserver.pgp.com

Re: Hivemind fork

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
I pretty much agree with Mads. Attic should not take any active role in
modifying the code base before anyone takes it off-Apache. The whole point
of Attic is *not* doing this. :-)

So, I would be -0 on it, too.

    Ciao
        Henning

Re: Hivemind fork

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.

Re: Hivemind fork

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Notice file would be left intact - there are copyrights as part of the
>>> headers in the files - would these remain or can they safely be
>>> removed/changed in the derived work?
>>
>> They can't be removed, except by the copyright holder.
>>
>> However - it's not normal Apache practice to keep them in there. There
>> was a move to update src headers a few years back and it looks like it
>> missed HiveMind.
>>
>> I'll update the files in hivemind2/trunk [I'm assuming you're taking
>> things from trunk and that the desired version is hivemind2].
>>
>> Let me know otherwise [I'll aim to do it tomorrow night so you've time
>> to point me in the right direction].
>>
>> Attic PMC - feel free to -1 if you think this is bad. It's the
>> application of a standard Apache style, so I think it's harmless
>> enough and will simplify things for the fork.
>
> I agree with Mads and Henning that the attic is *not* the place for this
> kind of cleanup. Copyright notices and licenses should be removed only by
> the copyright holders (in conjunction with updating the NOTICE if
> appropriate).
>
> So I'm -1 on changing the copyright notices on attic artifacts.

We are the copyright holder.

Anyway - consensus definitely against this so I won't do it.

Hen

Re: Hivemind fork

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Apr 26, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Johan Lindquist
> <jo...@kawoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Notice file would be left intact - there are copyrights as part of
>> the
>> headers in the files - would these remain or can they safely be
>> removed/changed in the derived work?
>
> They can't be removed, except by the copyright holder.
>
> However - it's not normal Apache practice to keep them in there. There
> was a move to update src headers a few years back and it looks like it
> missed HiveMind.
>
> I'll update the files in hivemind2/trunk [I'm assuming you're taking
> things from trunk and that the desired version is hivemind2].
>
> Let me know otherwise [I'll aim to do it tomorrow night so you've time
> to point me in the right direction].
>
> Attic PMC - feel free to -1 if you think this is bad. It's the
> application of a standard Apache style, so I think it's harmless
> enough and will simplify things for the fork.

I agree with Mads and Henning that the attic is *not* the place for
this kind of cleanup. Copyright notices and licenses should be removed
only by the copyright holders (in conjunction with updating the NOTICE
if appropriate).

So I'm -1 on changing the copyright notices on attic artifacts.

Craig

> Hen

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Hivemind fork

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hivemind fork

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.

Hi Craig,

Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Johan,
>
> On Apr 22, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Johan Lindquist wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> With the move of Hivemind to the Attic we were now hoping to
> continue the development with a fork over at OPS4J.  When the
> Hivemind PMC voted for the move, it was our understanding that the
> intent was to allow for work to continue, if not with Apache, but
> also elsewhere.
>
>> Right. Forks are *not* discouraged.

Great :)

> Now, we were wondering if there is anything in particular we should
> or need to think of/consider for this?
>
>> 1. The Apache license is very liberal, but it does have an
>> attribution requirement. So don't overlook the NOTICE.

Notice file would be left intact - there are copyrights as part of the
headers in the files - would these remain or can they safely be
removed/changed in the derived work?
>> 2. Don't call the new project by a name that might confuse
>> people.

It will indeed get a new (so far undecided) name - will let the list
know when it has been decided.

>> Good luck,

Thanks!
>> Craig
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Johan
>

> Craig L Russell Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System
> http://db.apache.org/jdo 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

- --
you too?