Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2007/02/26 13:12:20 UTC

Testing Cocoon 2.2 M3, Cocoon Configuration & others

These artifacts are available at http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/ for
your tests:

Cocoon 2.2: Core modules
cocoon-core-2.2.0-M3.jar
cocoon-core-2.2.0-M3-tests.jar
cocoon-xml-api-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-xml-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-thread-api-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-thread-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-util-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-store-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-xml-resolver-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-pipeline-api-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-pipeline-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-pipeline-impl-1.0.0-M1-tests.jar
cocoon-sitemap-api-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-sitemap-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-pipeline-components-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-sitemap-components-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-flowscript-impl-1.0.0-M2.jar

Cocoon 2.2: Blocks
cocoon-template-impl-1.0.0-M3.jar
cocoon-ajax-impl-1.0.0-M2.jar
cocoon-forms-impl-1.0.0-M2.jar
cocoon-batik-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-captcha-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-fop-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-mail-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-html-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-databases-hsqldb-server-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-databases-hsqldb-client-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-databases-mocks-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-databases-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-auth-api-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-auth-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-linkrewriter-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar

POM artifacts
cocoon-3.pom
cocoon-blocks-modules-3.pom
cocoon-core-modules-3.pom

Maven 2 Archetypes
cocoon-22-archetype-block-1.0.0-M5.jar
cocoon-22-archetype-webapp-1.0.0-M2.jar

Subproject: Configuration
cocoon-configuration-api-1.0.0.jar
cocoon-spring-configurator-1.0.0.jar

Subproject: Servlet-service
cocoon-servlet-service-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
cocoon-servlet-service-components-1.0.0-M1.jar

If you wonder how you can test at all, here are some possibilities:

  - If you already have a project based on Cocoon 2.2 artifacts, update
    your dependencies by using the latest milestone releases.

    a) If you use Maven, you only have to add the cocoon staging repository
    to your pom.xml:
     <repository>
       <id>cocoon.staging</id>
       <name>Cocoon staging repository</name>
       <url>http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon</url>
     </repository>
     and update the version elements of your dependencies.

    b) or copy them from http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon into your
    project if you use some different build system.

  - If you want to bootstrap a Cocoon project and/or want to test the
    archetypes, there is no straight way to test it using the files from
    the staging repository. The problem is that Maven only looks into
    your local repository or the central repository and you have no
    way of adding an alternative repository for archetypes.

    The closest thing I can offer is using the archetypes from trunk.
    So far they are almost unchanged compared to the released ones (except the
    dependency on the snapshot version of the parent and incrementing the version
    number) and we should find problems with them.

    If you haven't already, check out trunk and build it from the root
    directory by entering "mvn install".

    Then go to some directory of your choice and use the two Maven archetypes
    to create a Cocoon webapplication and a block:

    mvn archetype:create
     -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.cocoon
     -DarchetypeArtifactId=cocoon-22-archetype-block
     -DarchetypeVersion=1.0.0-M6-SNAPSHOT
     -DgroupId=com.mycompany
     -DartifactId=myBlock

    Move to the 'myBlock' directory and call "mvn install" from there which
    will put the block into your local Maven repository.

    Then go back to initial directory and call

    mvn archetype:create
     -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.cocoon
     -DarchetypeArtifactId=cocoon-22-archetype-webapp
     -DarchetypeVersion=1.0.0-M3-SNAPSHOT
     -DgroupId=com.mycompany
     -DartifactId=myCocoonWebapp

    Then goto ./myCocoonWebapp, open pom.xml and add the block as dependency:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.mycompany</groupId>
      <artifactId>myBlock</artifactId>
      <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>

    Then call "mvn package jetty:run" and call "http://localhost:8888/myBlock"
    from your browser.

Whether it works for you or not, please send your feedback to the list. Thanks!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Testing Cocoon 2.2 M3, Cocoon Configuration & others

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> What about checking out archetypes:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/tags/cocoon-2.2/cocoon-22-archetype-block/cocoon-22-archetype-block-1.0.0-M5
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/tags/cocoon-2.2/cocoon-22-archetype-webapp/cocoon-22-archetype-webapp-1.0.0-M2
>
> and building them this way:
> mvn install -s testing-cocoon-settings.xml
>
> I've created this file and attached to the message I'm writing. Of
> course it demands some extra strokes while building Cocoon for testing
> but as soon as artifacts are released to the central you can omit -s
> parameter and be sure that your build still works and you have clean
> poms (no temporary repositories). Also you really test archetypes tagged
> for release, as you pointed out there is no much difference here but
> it's more elegant IMO.

Thanks Grzegorz! Of course you're right. I will remember when I do the RC1
release series.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Reinhard Poetz napisał(a):

> These artifacts are available at
> http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/ for your tests:
> </snip>
>
> If you wonder how you can test at all, here are some possibilities:
>
> - If you already have a project based on Cocoon 2.2 artifacts, update
> your dependencies by using the latest milestone releases.
>
> a) If you use Maven, you only have to add the cocoon staging repository
> to your pom.xml:
> <repository>
> <id>cocoon.staging</id>
> <name>Cocoon staging repository</name>
> <url>http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon</url>
> </repository>
> and update the version elements of your dependencies.
I would propose to not add any temporary repositories onto poms but you
external settings file instead. (see below for details)
> </snip>
>
> - If you want to bootstrap a Cocoon project and/or want to test the
> archetypes, there is no straight way to test it using the files from
> the staging repository. The problem is that Maven only looks into
> your local repository or the central repository and you have no
> way of adding an alternative repository for archetypes.
>
> The closest thing I can offer is using the archetypes from trunk.
> So far they are almost unchanged compared to the released ones (except
> the
> dependency on the snapshot version of the parent and incrementing the
> version
> number) and we should find problems with them.
What about checking out archetypes:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/tags/cocoon-2.2/cocoon-22-archetype-block/cocoon-22-archetype-block-1.0.0-M5
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/tags/cocoon-2.2/cocoon-22-archetype-webapp/cocoon-22-archetype-webapp-1.0.0-M2
and building them this way:
mvn install -s testing-cocoon-settings.xml

I've created this file and attached to the message I'm writing. Of
course it demands some extra strokes while building Cocoon for testing
but as soon as artifacts are released to the central you can omit -s
parameter and be sure that your build still works and you have clean
poms (no temporary repositories). Also you really test archetypes tagged
for release, as you pointed out there is no much difference here but
it's more elegant IMO.

Thanks for your work! I'll give it some time now.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Testing Cocoon 2.2 M3, Cocoon Configuration & others

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com>.
Reinhard Poetz schrieb:

> These artifacts are available at http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/
> for your tests:
>

> Cocoon 2.2: Blocks
> cocoon-captcha-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar

Because it's better testing with working sample I added it also

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2016

Regards
Felix