Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by tison <wa...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/17 01:13:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal for StreamPark

Hi all,

I would like to propose StreamPark[1] as a new apache incubator project,
you can find the proposal[2] of StreamPark for more detail.

StreamPark is a streaming application development platform. Aimed at ease
building and managing streaming applications, StreamPark provides
scaffolding for writing streaming process logic with Apache Flink and
Apache Spark. Also, StreamPark provides a dashboard for controlling and
monitoring streaming tasks. It was initially known as StreamX and renamed
to StreamPark in August 2022.

StreamPark abstracts the environment and program parameters of task
development and deployment in a convention over configuration manner for
low code development. It initializes a runtime environment and context and
combines it with a series of connectors to simplify development. From the
aspect of a task management platform, StreamPark is a streaming data
management platform based on the JVM platform.

So far, StreamPark has accumulated a few users, and the accrued download
time is over 5,000. The representative users are Baidu, China Unicom,
Ziroom, Yonghui Supermarket, InMobi, YTO Express, and so on. StreamPark has
built an open-source community with 52 developers and released over ten
versions in the past year.

The proposed initial committers are interested in joining ASF to increase
the connections in the open-source world. Based on extensive collaboration,
it is possible to build a community of developers and committers that live
longer than the founder. Also, the Apache Brand can help encourage more
organizations to use StreamPark more confidently.

We believe that the StreamPark project will provide diversity value for the
community if StreamPark is introduced into the Apache incubator.

I (@tison) will help this project as the champion and many thanks to four
other mentors:

* Willem Ning Jiang [ningjiang@apache.org]
* Stephan Ewen [sewen@apache.org]
* Thomas Weise [thw@apache.org]
* Duo Zhang [zhangduo@apache.org]

Best,
tison.

[1] https://github.com/streamxhub/streamx
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/StreamPark+Proposal

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal for StreamPark

Posted by Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org>.
Cheng Pan <pa...@gmail.com> 于2022年8月25日周四 13:31写道:

> Hi Justin,
>
> > The issue is not if it in the release package or not, it cannot be a dependency.
>
> Could you please elaborate more about "dependency"? I can imagine the
> following use cases:
>
> 1. the project hardly depends on mysql-connector, w/o mysql-connector,
> the project can not work totally.
> 2. some optional functionalities of the project require
> mysql-connector, w/o mysql-connector, the project still works.
> 3. the project use mysql-connector for testing-only purpose,
> mysql-connector is not required in runtime at all, e.g. the project
> implements MySQL transport protocol, it uses mysql-connector for
> testing to ensure compatibility.
>
> Are the above use cases allowed/forbidden by the apache project?

Yes. You could have. for more details, you can refer to [1].

[1] https://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional

> Thanks,
> Cheng Pan
>
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 12:18 PM benjobs <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > Add Usage of MySQL:
> >
> > 1) in kafka connector of streampark spark module, MySQL use to store kafka
> > offsets. The connector also provides HBase, Redis for users to choose.
> > MySQL is an optional dependency.
> >
> > 2) in streampark platform module, MySQL use to store backend metadata .
> > Currently, planning to remove the mysql-connector dependency, Issues[1]
> > have been created on github, It is planned to be completed within the next
> > month
> >
> > Also we're working on issue of Category X license dependancies.
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/streamxhub/streampark/issues/1447
> >
> > Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年8月25日周四 10:42写道:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > The issue is not if it in the release package or not, it cannot be a
> > > dependancy. Now if you have a plan to remove it as a dependancy then that
> > > is fine, but a project would be unlikely to graduate from the incubator
> > > with a dependancy like this.
> > >
> > > Also this is not the only bit of software with a Category X license in
> > > your dependancy list. How are those going to be handled?
> > >
> > > Kind Regards,
> > > Justin

Best wishes!
CalvinKirs

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal for StreamPark

Posted by Cheng Pan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks,
Cheng Pan

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Cheng Pan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by benjobs <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I would like to learn why mysql-connector is not compatible with the Apache license?

Short version it’s GPL and the “FOSS exception”  license is no longer valid. Even it it was it (from my reading) it places a restriction on software that it can only be used with open source software. It seems to be a weak copy left style license and that would be a restriction on top of what the Apache license allows. The Apache license allows non open source software to use Apache licensed software.

It is also not in Apache's Category A,B or X lists.[1]  you’ll need to ask legal-discuss to take a look at it and determine if it is allowed or not. Note that Category X includes GPL with special exceptions.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

I would like to learn why mysql-connector is not compatible with the Apache license?
AFAIK, mysql-connector is dual licensed which is compatible with open source works.
The MySQL License page also says[1]:

> For developers and distributors of open source software under a FOSS license other than the GPL, Oracle makes its GPL-licensed MySQL Client Libraries available under a FOSS Exception that enables use of the those MySQL Client Libraries under certain conditions without causing the entire derivative work to be subject to the GPL.

>  For the MySQL Client Libraries, Oracle adds the further additional permission of the Universal FOSS Exception[2], allowing a qualifying FOSS application to use them without subjecting the entirety of the application to the reciprocal license requirement of the GPLv2.

Best,
Jark

[1]: https://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/oem/ <https://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/oem/>
[2]: https://oss.oracle.com/licenses/universal-foss-exception/ <https://oss.oracle.com/licenses/universal-foss-exception/>

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by benjobs <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks for your feedback! I checked all modules of the project and
reconfirmed it again, the maven scope of mysql-connector is "provided" or
"test", and will not be provided in the release package,
The latest code has been updated, if there are still problems, we will
solve them quickly.

Best,
benjobs.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年8月25日周四 06:10写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by benjobs <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks,  Issues about GPL and LGPL have been resolved,
These dependencies have been changed to optional or deleted.

Best,
benjobs.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年8月24日周三 14:02写道:

Posted by benjobs <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. We will solve these problems as soon as possible

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>于2022年8月24日 周三14:19写道:

Posted by benjobs <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your guidance,  Issues about GPL and LGPL have been resolved,
mysql-connector has been changed to optional and The log component has
been replaced as log4j2.

Best,
benjobs.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi StreamPark team

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal for StreamPark

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Please vote in the thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/dowk7mtw26vg74qcpx4ttjvn9tkwt5qk

Best,
tison.

tison <wa...@gmail.com> 于2022年8月24日周三 11:49写道:

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Goson zhang <go...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding), good luck!

Posted by david zollo <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by huajie wang <be...@gmail.com>.
related notes:

Posted by david zollo <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

I checked out the official site of Apache StreamPipe (Incubator) whose
slogan writes:

> A self-service (Industrial) IoT toolbox to enable non-technical users to
connect, analyze and explore IoT data streams.

Basically, StreamPark is for technical users and it does not specifically
focus on IoT scenarios. It's a streaming application development and
management platform mainly supporting Flink & Spark streaming applications.

Best,
tison.

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2022年8月19日周五 20:16写道:

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by huajie wang <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tison,

It's good to have the github ids and email addresses listed in the proposal, but the initial committers' public names should be listed in the proposal.

For example:
Huajie Wang (https://github.com/wolfboys <https://github.com/wolfboys>)  [benjobs@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>]

Warm regards,
Craig

> On Aug 18, 2022, at 17:59, tison <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2. List initial committers with their GitHub accounts.
>
> It's updated in the proposal. Pick here:
>
> * [benjobs](https://github.com/wolfboys <https://github.com/wolfboys>)  [benjobs@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>]
> * [Al-assad](https://github.com/Al-assad <https://github.com/Al-assad>)  [assad.dev@outlook.com <ma...@outlook.com>]
> * [xinzhuxiansheng](https://github.com/xinzhuxiansheng <https://github.com/xinzhuxiansheng>)  [
> xinzhuxianshengzy@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>]
> * [MonsterChenzhuo](https://github.com/MonsterChenzhuo <https://github.com/MonsterChenzhuo>)  [
> monster.zhuoyuchen@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>]
> * [lvshaokang](https://github.com/lvshaokang <https://github.com/lvshaokang>) [lvshaokang1@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>]
> * [monrg](https://github.com/monrg <https://github.com/monrg>)  [wangmonrg@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>]
> * [tamer.ning](https://github.com/GuoNingNing <https://github.com/GuoNingNing>) [tamer.ning@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>]
>
> Best,
> tison.

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal for StreamPark

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
FYI,

Posted by huajie wang <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your guidance, All copyrighy fixed.

Best,
benjobs.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by huajie wang <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Several questions

Posted by Sherlock Homles <co...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mingyu Chen <mo...@163.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Jark Wu <ja...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
I follow a previous proposal (Kvrocks) to send a digest to general@ while
linking the complete proposal to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/StreamPark+Proposal
 >_<

Best,
tison.

tison <wa...@gmail.com> 于2022年8月17日周三 10:34写道:

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sheng,

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by li gang <lg...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)
Glad to see StreamPark join the incubator,StreamPark is a good project
name,hope it can be a very diversity and heathy community.

tison <wa...@gmail.com> 于2022年8月17日周三 09:15写道:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to propose StreamPark[1] as a new apache incubator project,
> you can find the proposal[2] of StreamPark for more detail.
>
> StreamPark is a streaming application development platform. Aimed at ease
> building and managing streaming applications, StreamPark provides
> scaffolding for writing streaming process logic with Apache Flink and
> Apache Spark. Also, StreamPark provides a dashboard for controlling and
> monitoring streaming tasks. It was initially known as StreamX and renamed
> to StreamPark in August 2022.
>
> StreamPark abstracts the environment and program parameters of task
> development and deployment in a convention over configuration manner for
> low code development. It initializes a runtime environment and context and
> combines it with a series of connectors to simplify development. From the
> aspect of a task management platform, StreamPark is a streaming data
> management platform based on the JVM platform.
>
> So far, StreamPark has accumulated a few users, and the accrued download
> time is over 5,000. The representative users are Baidu, China Unicom,
> Ziroom, Yonghui Supermarket, InMobi, YTO Express, and so on. StreamPark has
> built an open-source community with 52 developers and released over ten
> versions in the past year.
>
> The proposed initial committers are interested in joining ASF to increase
> the connections in the open-source world. Based on extensive collaboration,
> it is possible to build a community of developers and committers that live
> longer than the founder. Also, the Apache Brand can help encourage more
> organizations to use StreamPark more confidently.
>
> We believe that the StreamPark project will provide diversity value for the
> community if StreamPark is introduced into the Apache incubator.
>
> I (@tison) will help this project as the champion and many thanks to four
> other mentors:
>
> * Willem Ning Jiang [ningjiang@apache.org]
> * Stephan Ewen [sewen@apache.org]
> * Thomas Weise [thw@apache.org]
> * Duo Zhang [zhangduo@apache.org]
>
> Best,
> tison.
>
> [1] https://github.com/streamxhub/streamx
> [2]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/StreamPark+Proposal

--

------------------------------
Best Regards

DolphinScheduler PMC
Gang Li 李岗

lgcareer@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal for StreamPark

Posted by "Jiafeng.Zhang" <zh...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

StreamPark is a nice name. Good luck!

Brs,
Jiafeng.Zhang
Email : jiafengzheng@apache.org

Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> 于2022年8月19日周五 15:48写道:

> Hmmm how does it differentiate to what StreamPipes does?
>
> Chris
>
> Holen Sie sich Outlook für Android<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
> ________________________________

张家峰

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal for StreamPark

Posted by Kelu Tao <le...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi @Sheng @Justin @Cheng @Clavin,

Thanks for your comments so far. If there's no more concern from your point
of view, you're welcome to vote in the vote thread[1].

Best,
tison.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/dowk7mtw26vg74qcpx4ttjvn9tkwt5qk

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal for StreamPark

Posted by benjobs <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

> How will the existing web site and domain be managed?

1) this website projects will be donated to apache, it has been stated that
in Proposal [1]
2)  I applied for this domain, and I manage and control it, Currently used
to provide official websites and documents, I will cooperate with all
handover procedures
3)  When the project is donated, the website will be planned to go offline,
and will not be provided as the official website and documentation of
StreamPark

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/StreamPark+Proposal#git-repositories

Best,
benjobs.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年8月26日周五 07:22写道:

Posted by benjobs <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

we already know that some category-X class dependencies in StreamPark has
risk. We had create an issue[1] to track this.
and category-X dependencies list have been updated in Proposal [2],

this issue planned to be solved in future releases, until the requirements
are fully met.

[1] https://github.com/streamxhub/streampark/issues/1447
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/StreamPark+Proposal#external-dependencies

Best,
benjobs.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年8月25日周四 19:12写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Cheng Pan <pa...@gmail.com>.
> Please note that Cheng Pan's comment is their own question, which isn't
> associated with StreamPark's situation.

@tison, I just make the mysql connector license issue clear, it helps the
StreamPark team to make decisions about how to resolve the issue.

> 1) in kafka connector of streampark spark module, MySQL use to store kafka
> offsets. The connector also provides HBase, Redis for users to choose.
> MySQL is an optional dependency.

it's case 2

> 2. some optional functionalities of the project require
> mysql-connector, w/o mysql-connector, the project still works.

> 2) in streampark platform module, MySQL use to store backend metadata .
> Currently, planning to remove the mysql-connector dependency, Issues[1]
> have been created on github, It is planned to be completed within the next
> month

it's case 1 (IMO)

> 1. the project hardly depends on mysql-connector, w/o mysql-connector,
> the project can not work totally.

And I don't know why you think it's not StreamPark's situation.

Thanks,
Cheng Pan

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
> How about simply changing to Postgres?

There is an ongoing issue as mentioned above
https://github.com/streamxhub/streampark/issues/1447.

@Cheng Pan
If you'd like to discuss more on dependencies policy, you can start a
dedicated thread.

@Justin & @Calvin

Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> 于2022年8月25日周四 16:40写道:

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.