Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Yan Zhou [FDS Science]" <yz...@coupang.com> on 2018/08/08 01:06:34 UTC

checkpoint recovery behavior when kafka source is set to start from timestamp

Hi Experts,

In my application, the kafka source is set to start from a specified timestamp, by calling method FlinkKafkaConsumer010#setStartFromTimestamp(long startupOffsetsTimestamp).

If the application have run a while and then recover from a checkpoint because of failure, what's the offset will the kafka source to read from? I suppose it will read from the offset that has been committed before the failure. Is it right?

I am going to verify it, however some clarification is good in case my test result doesn't meet my assumption.

Best

Yan

Re: checkpoint recovery behavior when kafka source is set to start from timestamp

Posted by "Yan Zhou [FDS Science]" <yz...@coupang.com>.
Thank you Vino. It is very helpful.

________________________________
Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yan Zhou:

I think the java doc of the setStartFromTimestamp method has been explained
very clearly, posted here:

*/***
** Specify the consumer to start reading partitions from a specified
timestamp.*
** The specified timestamp must be before the current timestamp.*
** This lets the consumer ignore any committed group offsets in Zookeeper /
Kafka brokers.*
***
** <p>The consumer will look up the earliest offset whose timestamp is
greater than or equal*
** to the specific timestamp from Kafka. If there's no such offset, the
consumer will use the*
** latest offset to read data from kafka.*
***
** <p>This method does not affect where partitions are read from when the
consumer is restored*
** from a checkpoint or savepoint. When the consumer is restored from a
checkpoint or*
** savepoint, only the offsets in the restored state will be used.*
***
** @param startupOffsetsTimestamp timestamp for the startup offsets, as
milliseconds from epoch.*
***