Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/18 18:03:07 UTC

Secmail again

Hi,

Small usability question. When I select a message to work on, sometimes I just want to bail.

I don't want to delete the current message,  just go back to the message list so I can come back later and file the document. This is the work flow in the case of public key not uploaded.

The browser back button doesn't work. Several of the pages are the actions I just took that got me here. All of the titles listed are "ASF Secretary Mail". Only one goes back to where I was.

So, two possible solutions:

1. Change the title of the page that processes a message: "Processing"
Then, the browser back drop-down will show
Processing
Processing
Processing
ASF Secretary Mail
Processing
Processing
Processing
ASF Secretary Mail

2. Add a button next to (File) that goes back to the message list: (Cancel)

Ez-pz

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect
craig.russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Secmail again

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So no need to change anything.

I'll leave it alone for now.

> I understand. I'm not faulting the tool, but my own inadequacies. It's easy to parse the do...end and the map:iterations. Even the message.reply (143 in icla.json.rb). But the message processing at line 76  a/www/board/agenda/views/actions/todos.json.rb is a complete mystery.

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/9ccb0cdfe0a5a8aa40e73be80dc51c4f325a90bd/www/board/agenda/views/actions/todos.json.rb#L75

I'm creating a mail object, setting from, to, subject, and body, then
delivering it.

Within a double quoted string, #{expression}" is evaluated much as
"<%= expression %>" in JSP.

For the 'to' address, I specify an array.  For the others, simple strings.

FYI: those lines (76-80) are method calls on the object being
constructed.  Parenthesis are generally optional in method calls in
Ruby.  So the first line is equivalent to:

from(sender.public_name + " <" + sender.id + "@apache.org>")

> Craig

- Sam Ruby

Re: Secmail again

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
> On Jul 18, 2017, at 5:19 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Can I suggest an alternative?  Make the back button work as you would
>>> expect it to?
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/9ccb0cdfe0a5a8aa40e73be80dc51c4f325a90bd
>>>
>>> Note: my experience is that these APIs tend to be finicky.  I've
>>> lightly tested it on both Firefox on Safari, but there may be edge
>>> cases that need to be handled.
>>
>> The project dropdown is a bit awkward. Here's what I'd like to see:
>
> Um, this is a different topic?

Yes.

>> Tab into the project field. It's highlighted. Start typing the project name.
>> t: shows tomcat
>> o: shows tomcat
>> m: shows tomcat
>> e: shows tomee
>> backspace: shows tomcat
>> tab out of the field, with tomee selected
>>
>> What actually happens:
>> Tab into the project field. Start typing the project name.
>> t: shows tomcat
>> o: shows ode
>> m: shows madlib
>> backspace: exits the icla page, back to the message list
>>
>> Is the current behavior part of a dropdown definition, part of reactjs? Can it be "fixed" easily?
>
> This is native browser functionality, but there is a bootstrap
> replacement that could be used.  You can see it live in the second
> (mailing list) dropdown in the following page:
>
> https://whimsy.apache.org/committers/subscribe

I like this one better. It's more obvious what it is doing than "native browser".

But I also found that the native browser does something just as good. If I am in the projects field:
w: wave
w: weex
w: whimsy

So no need to change anything.

> One thing I can do is stop the keystroke event from propagating to the
> page if the selectbox has focus.  I don't know if you have favorite
> keystrokes that you would like to continue to be processed, but the
> keystroke handler could let some through and not others.  I do this in
> the board agenda tools:
>
> https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/www/board/agenda/views/keyboard.js.rb

I don't use keystrokes except tab. I've learned that return is sometimes dangerous.

>>> FWIW, the link in the top left ('ASF Secretary Mail') already takes
>>> you to the message list.
>>
>> So it does. I had no idea that it was a link.
>>
>> I've concluded that this tool is more easily read than written. I can navigate to where the problem is; I just can't reliably write code to fix it.
>
> It is a matter of fluency.  I took Spanish mumbley-mumbly years ago, I
> still can mostly read Spanish, and can construct short sentences
> mostly correctly, but can't keep up a conversation.

I understand. I'm not faulting the tool, but my own inadequacies. It's easy to parse the do...end and the map:iterations. Even the message.reply (143 in icla.json.rb). But the message processing at line 76  a/www/board/agenda/views/actions/todos.json.rb is a complete mystery.

Craig

>> I appreciate all the help fine tuning this to my standards.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig
>
> - Sam Ruby

>>> - Sam Ruby
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> Architect
>> craig.russell@oracle.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Craig L Russell
Architect
craig.russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Secmail again

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Jul 18, 2017, at 4:39 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Small usability question. When I select a message to work on, sometimes I just want to bail.
>>>
>>> I don't want to delete the current message,  just go back to the message list so I can come back later and file the document. This is the work flow in the case of public key not uploaded.
>>>
>>> The browser back button doesn't work. Several of the pages are the actions I just took that got me here. All of the titles listed are "ASF Secretary Mail". Only one goes back to where I was.
>>>
>>> So, two possible solutions:
>>>
>>> 1. Change the title of the page that processes a message: "Processing"
>>> Then, the browser back drop-down will show
>>> Processing
>>> Processing
>>> Processing
>>> ASF Secretary Mail
>>> Processing
>>> Processing
>>> Processing
>>> ASF Secretary Mail
>>
>> Can I suggest an alternative?  Make the back button work as you would
>> expect it to?
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/9ccb0cdfe0a5a8aa40e73be80dc51c4f325a90bd
>>
>> Note: my experience is that these APIs tend to be finicky.  I've
>> lightly tested it on both Firefox on Safari, but there may be edge
>> cases that need to be handled.
>
> The project dropdown is a bit awkward. Here's what I'd like to see:

Um, this is a different topic?

> Tab into the project field. It's highlighted. Start typing the project name.
> t: shows tomcat
> o: shows tomcat
> m: shows tomcat
> e: shows tomee
> backspace: shows tomcat
> tab out of the field, with tomee selected
>
> What actually happens:
> Tab into the project field. Start typing the project name.
> t: shows tomcat
> o: shows ode
> m: shows madlib
> backspace: exits the icla page, back to the message list
>
> Is the current behavior part of a dropdown definition, part of reactjs? Can it be "fixed" easily?

This is native browser functionality, but there is a bootstrap
replacement that could be used.  You can see it live in the second
(mailing list) dropdown in the following page:

https://whimsy.apache.org/committers/subscribe

One thing I can do is stop the keystroke event from propagating to the
page if the selectbox has focus.  I don't know if you have favorite
keystrokes that you would like to continue to be processed, but the
keystroke handler could let some through and not others.  I do this in
the board agenda tools:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/www/board/agenda/views/keyboard.js.rb

>>> 2. Add a button next to (File) that goes back to the message list: (Cancel)
>>
>> FWIW, the link in the top left ('ASF Secretary Mail') already takes
>> you to the message list.
>
> So it does. I had no idea that it was a link.
>
> I've concluded that this tool is more easily read than written. I can navigate to where the problem is; I just can't reliably write code to fix it.

It is a matter of fluency.  I took Spanish mumbley-mumbly years ago, I
still can mostly read Spanish, and can construct short sentences
mostly correctly, but can't keep up a conversation.

> I appreciate all the help fine tuning this to my standards.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig

- Sam Ruby

>>> craig.russell@oracle.com

Re: Secmail again

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

backspace: shows tomcat
tab out of the field, with tomee selected

What actually happens:
Tab into the project field. Start typing the project name.
t: shows tomcat
o: shows ode
m: shows madlib
backspace: exits the icla page, back to the message list

Is the current behavior part of a dropdown definition, part of reactjs? Can it be "fixed" easily?

>> 2. Add a button next to (File) that goes back to the message list: (Cancel)
>
> FWIW, the link in the top left ('ASF Secretary Mail') already takes
> you to the message list.

So it does. I had no idea that it was a link.

I've concluded that this tool is more easily read than written. I can navigate to where the problem is; I just can't reliably write code to fix it.

I appreciate all the help fine tuning this to my standards.

Craig L Russell
Architect
craig.russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Secmail again

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Small usability question. When I select a message to work on, sometimes I just want to bail.
>
> I don't want to delete the current message,  just go back to the message list so I can come back later and file the document. This is the work flow in the case of public key not uploaded.
>
> The browser back button doesn't work. Several of the pages are the actions I just took that got me here. All of the titles listed are "ASF Secretary Mail". Only one goes back to where I was.
>
> So, two possible solutions:
>
> 1. Change the title of the page that processes a message: "Processing"
> Then, the browser back drop-down will show
> Processing
> Processing
> Processing
> ASF Secretary Mail
> Processing
> Processing
> Processing
> ASF Secretary Mail

Can I suggest an alternative?  Make the back button work as you would
expect it to?

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/9ccb0cdfe0a5a8aa40e73be80dc51c4f325a90bd

Note: my experience is that these APIs tend to be finicky.  I've
lightly tested it on both Firefox on Safari, but there may be edge
cases that need to be handled.

> 2. Add a button next to (File) that goes back to the message list: (Cancel)

FWIW, the link in the top left ('ASF Secretary Mail') already takes
you to the message list.

> Ez-pz
>
> Craig
>
> Craig L Russell