Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/06/07 16:52:51 UTC

Location for logo source?

Chris R. sent me the logo source, including additional application
notes, links to the font, etc.

Where should this go?

On the one hand we store the live version of the logo bitmaps on the
website here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/images/

But there are also other copies in other location, in the product
tree, in the site tree, and outside of SVN on forums, wiki, etc.

So I think we want a more central location where we can store this
material, since it cuts across product, website and externally.

Maybe a new root SVN folder, /openoffice/artwork ?   That could grow
to contain things like CD labels, etc.

I'm sure someone will suggest the MWiki.  That allows some kinds of
attachments, yes?  But does it version attachments?  I think we want
full version control on logo source changes.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/images/

>> > There is a subarea in images that had been set up for this --
>> >

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/images/AOO_logos/
>> >
>> > with svg directory for source, and renderings in the main logos area.
>> >
>> > Could we continue to use this area?
>> >

>> Possibly.  The side effect would be that the logo source gets
>> published to the website.  What would that mean to visitors?  My
>> preference would be to make it clear that the logo is not something
>> that we just want people grabbing and reusing for any purpose.
>>

>> > I would suggest all other items -- notes, a rendering -- be placed in
>> >
>> > http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/
>> >

>> I like this area more.  Maybe the images/AOO_logos is better for the
>> concrete website PNG image, and the marketing/art/galleries area could
>> be for the source, etc.?  We can then set expectations/permissible
>> uses, etc., on the existing web pages.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> Yes, this makes sense. And, I didn't realize there was already some
> appropriate links to SVG there. This is a good choice.

a ps.

I can use these to work on new logo use for web sites soonish -- Monday,
PDT? -- and supply mockup pages.

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 7 June 2013 22:55, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Rob Weir wrote:

> >> I like this area more.  Maybe the images/AOO_logos is better for the
> >> concrete website PNG image, and the marketing/art/galleries area could
> >> be for the source, etc.?  We can then set expectations/permissible
> >> uses, etc., on the existing web pages.
> >

> > Seems good. Actually, we could even shorten it to
> > http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/logos/
> > for better reachability in SVN ("art" would still be meaningful, but
> > "galleries" seems misleading). This is just a minor preference of course.
> >

> I checked it in earlier just so those who are interested in helping
> with it can access it:
>

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/marketing/art/galleries/logos/aoo-working/
>
> I'd like to clean up the /marketing tree in general, to move the old
> logo(s) to a history page, etc.  This whole area of the website is in
> need of a cleanup.   Or maybe migration into the wiki?  Most of the
> project-facing marketing work is probably better done on the wiki than
> in static pages.  In the end I'd only want things like logos, where we
> do not want to give public write-access, to be in SVN.
>
> Make sense?

+1 I like the idea of using wiki, for all changeable things, and agree that
e.g. logo should be in svn.

I experimented a bit, and I am very sure we can add svn content (like e.g.
the logo) to a mwiki page without problems.

rgds
jan I.

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 7, 2013, at 4:55 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:

>>> I like this area more.  Maybe the images/AOO_logos is better for the
>>> concrete website PNG image, and the marketing/art/galleries area could
>>> be for the source, etc.?  We can then set expectations/permissible
>>> uses, etc., on the existing web pages.
>>

>> Seems good. Actually, we could even shorten it to
>> http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/logos/
>> for better reachability in SVN ("art" would still be meaningful, but
>> "galleries" seems misleading). This is just a minor preference of course.
>
> I checked it in earlier just so those who are interested in helping
> with it can access it:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/marketing/art/galleries/logos/aoo-working/
>
> I'd like to clean up the /marketing tree in general, to move the old
> logo(s) to a history page, etc.  This whole area of the website is in
> need of a cleanup.   Or maybe migration into the wiki?  Most of the
> project-facing marketing work is probably better done on the wiki than
> in static pages.  In the end I'd only want things like logos, where we
> do not want to give public write-access, to be in SVN.
>
> Make sense?

Yes +1. Thanks for your leadership on this.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
     Hi Rob,

On 07.06.2013 16:52, Rob Weir wrote:
> Chris R. sent me the logo source, including additional application
> notes, links to the font, etc.
>
> Where should this go?
>
> On the one hand we store the live version of the logo bitmaps on the
> website here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/images/
>
> But there are also other copies in other location, in the product
> tree, in the site tree, and outside of SVN on forums, wiki, etc.
>
> So I think we want a more central location where we can store this
> material, since it cuts across product, website and externally.
>
> Maybe a new root SVN folder, /openoffice/artwork ?   That could grow
> to contain things like CD labels, etc.

We will need something like this and we definitely want version control.
There is /trunk/main/default-images where most of the image stuff is
(UI, Toolbar icons, Gallery, etc.). It supports mechanisms for
localization and other graphic sets (AFAIK). For the logo stuff maybe
the same location as the file type icons would be good
(main/default_images/res/ AFAIK). On the other hand we have no ressource
mechanism (yet) to load SVG files in the office code as ressources, but
this may be changed in some way if needed (and is an implementation
detail...).

HTH!
Sincerely,
     Armin

Re: Location for logo source?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Chris R. sent me the logo source, including additional application
> notes, links to the font, etc.
>
> Where should this go?
>
> On the one hand we store the live version of the logo bitmaps on the
> website here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/images/
>
> But there are also other copies in other location, in the product
> tree, in the site tree, and outside of SVN on forums, wiki, etc.
>
> So I think we want a more central location where we can store this
> material, since it cuts across product, website and externally.
>
> Maybe a new root SVN folder, /openoffice/artwork ?   That could grow
> to contain things like CD labels, etc.
>
> I'm sure someone will suggest the MWiki.  That allows some kinds of
> attachments, yes?  But does it version attachments?  I think we want
> full version control on logo source changes.

​There is:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Page_history#Image_history​

> Regards,
>
> -Rob