Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreia Oliveira <an...@reitoria.uminho.pt> on 2006/03/02 12:44:26 UTC

FOP - Keeping blocks together

Hi,

I am using fop 0.20.5 and I have a document with several pages organized
using List items.

<fo:list-item space-before="12pt" keep-with-next.within-page="always">
<fo:list-item-label>
<fo:block keep-with-next.within-page="always" font-family="NewsGotT"
font-size="11pt" line-height="12pt" color="rgb(0,0,0)">
2.4
</fo:block>
</fo:list-item-label>
<fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
<fo:block font-family="NewsGotT" font-size="11pt" line-height="12pt"
color="rgb(0,0,0)">
Title for section 2.4:
</fo:block>
<fo:block font-family="NewsGotTLig" font-size="11pt" line-height="12pt"
color="rgb(0,0,0)">
Text for section 2.4
</fo:block>
</fo:list-item-body>
</fo:list-item>

I need to always keep the contents of the list-item-body together. Both
blocks with title and contents must be together. And of course the "2.4" -
Number of the section must also be together.
Tried to implement it using the code presented.
It does not work.
Can someone advise me on hos to proceed in order to always have the content
of the list all-together?

Thanks in advance,
--------------------------------------
Andreia Oliveira
andreia@reitoria.uminho.pt
---------------------------------------

Re: FOP - Keeping blocks together

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Andreia Oliveira wrote:

> Thanks Chris.
>
> I was hoping that I could solve my problem without migrating to a new Fop
> version.
> Can you please give me some instructions on the steps to perform this
> migration? From were it can be downloaded and what do I have to properly
> install it?

Andreia,

FOP 0.91 can be downloaded from the website:

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/download.html

there are some upgrade instructions on the website, see:

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.91/upgrading.html

If you really don't want to upgrade (can't think why, as the redesigned
code is far superior IMHO), there is a rather limited workaround using
keep-* properties on table-rows as Joerg already suggested.

<snip/>

Chris

Re: FOP - Keeping blocks together

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Andreia Oliveira wrote:
> I was hoping that I could solve my problem without migrating to a new Fop
> version.

Look at:
  http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html#keep-with
You might get other problems, like excessive memory consumption
and errors claiming duplicate IDs.

J.Pietschmann

RE: FOP - Keeping blocks together

> I need to always keep the contents of the list-item-body together.
> Both blocks with title and contents must be together. And of course the
"2.4"
> - Number of the section must also be together.
> Tried to implement it using the code presented.
> It does not work.

This is a known flaw in FOP 0.20.5. The main reason in fact, FOP was
redesigned was to support keep-* properties.

> Can someone advise me on hos to proceed in order to always have the
> content of the list all-together?

Upgrade to FOP 0.91beta where keep-* properties are supported.

Chris

Re: FOP - Keeping blocks together

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

<snip/>