Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2001/12/15 00:46:21 UTC

Release

Hi,

I think it would be fine to do a release now. Does anyone object to me
rolling out a 1.0?

I have asked Stefano to help me with the site update as well.

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Release

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Hi Andrew.  Your email client line-wrapped the XML-RPC patch you sent.
Would you resend it as a unidiff
<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html>?  Thanks.

Re: Release

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Re: Release

Posted by Andrew Baptist <an...@quiq.com>.
One problem I have encontered with the xml-rpc stuff is the detecting of
a hung server. This can happen if the server is alive but slow to
respond. If the client application needs a response back within a
certain time the only choice right now is to use the Async method and
handle the wait issue that way.

This is kludgy and can be solved by setting the so timeout on the
sockets. Unfortunatly untion java 1.4 there is no way to set that on the
url.

Here are the diffs from a simple workaround for the XmlLRpcClientLite
that gets around this problem. (It also fixes a bug with the client not
correctly closing a socket if there is an exception thrown during the
method)

Hannes had suggest I post this here:

diff -r1.1.1.1 XmlRpcClientLite.java
73a74
>     int soTimeout = 0;
99a101,104
>     public void setSoTimeout(int soTimeout)
>     {
>         this.soTimeout = soTimeout;
>     }
164,167d168
<                 // client keepalive is always false if
XmlRpc.keepalive is false
<                 if (!client.keepalive)
<                     client.closeConnection ();
<
192a194,199
>             finally {
>                 // client keepalive is always false if
XmlRpc.keepalive is false
>                 if (client != null && !client.keepalive)
>                     client.closeConnection ();
>             }

257a265,267

Re: Release

Posted by Andrew Baptist <an...@quiq.com>.
One problem I have encontered with the xml-rpc stuff is the detecting of
a hung server. This can happen if the server is alive but slow to
respond. If the client application needs a response back within a
certain time the only choice right now is to use the Async method and
handle the wait issue that way.

This is kludgy and can be solved by setting the so timeout on the
sockets. Unfortunatly untion java 1.4 there is no way to set that on the
url.

Here are the diffs from a simple workaround for the XmlLRpcClientLite
that gets around this problem. (It also fixes a bug with the client not
correctly closing a socket if there is an exception thrown during the
method)

Hannes had suggest I post this here:

diff -r1.1.1.1 XmlRpcClientLite.java
73a74
>     int soTimeout = 0;
99a101,104
>     public void setSoTimeout(int soTimeout)
>     {
>         this.soTimeout = soTimeout;
>     }
164,167d168
<                 // client keepalive is always false if
XmlRpc.keepalive is false
<                 if (!client.keepalive)
<                     client.closeConnection ();
<
192a194,199
>             finally {
>                 // client keepalive is always false if
XmlRpc.keepalive is false
>                 if (client != null && !client.keepalive)
>                     client.closeConnection ();
>             }

257a265,267

Re: Release

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> writes:

> I think it would be fine to do a release now. Does anyone object to me
> rolling out a 1.0?
>
> I have asked Stefano to help me with the site update as well.

+1 on cutting a 1.0 release.

Re: Release

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.