Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/01/22 00:32:44 UTC

Re: Xerces 2 release date?

Andy Clark wrote:

> We're trying to have a production release of Xerces2 by the
> end of this month.

IMHO, that would be premature.  Take a look at
http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/xerces2/index.html .

I've tried to encourage the Turbine team to work with the Xerces team to
find a set of APIs that can enable them to smoothly make the transition
from Xerces 1 to Xerces 2.  At the moment, it looks like the JAXP
interfaces may not be sufficient, and the Xerces specific APIs changed too
much.  For more details, see

   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-dev&m=101044066232727&w=2
   http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/xerces2/jakarta-turbine-torque.html

Also, the xml-security subproject unit tests which pass with Xerces 1 cause
failures inside the parser with Xerces 2.

   http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/xerces2/xml-security.html
   http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/base/xml-security.html

- Sam Ruby

Re: Xerces 2 release date?

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Christian,

Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:
> What I need from the parser (I had to search quite long for Xerces1 to find
> sufficient settings) is that it does validation as much as possible ;-))
> This means that if my DTD only defines one Attribute but I have many
> different Elements and Attributes in the XML instance, well, he validates
> that Attribute and is silent on all the other things that can't be
> validated.

If I understand you correctly -- you need a non-validating XML Parser?
If yes, you need to turn on / off same features that you used to set in
Xerces1:

[1] http://apache.org/xml/features/nonvalidating/load-external-dtd  -
set to false
Note: I believe there is a bug and this feature does not always work
properly. I will investigate.

[2] http://xml.org/sax/features/validation - set to false

Do you need anything else? What kind of features you used to set in
Xerces1?

Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: Xerces 2 release date?

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Christian,

Re: Xerces 2 release date?

Posted by Christian Geuer-Pollmann <ge...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>.

--On Montag, 21. Januar 2002 18:32 -0500 Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Andy Clark wrote:
>>
>> We're trying to have a production release of Xerces2 by the
>> end of this month.
>
> IMHO, that would be premature.  Take a look at
> http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/xerces2/index.html .
>
> Also, the xml-security subproject unit tests which pass with Xerces 1
> cause failures inside the parser with Xerces 2.
>
>    http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/xerces2/xml-security.html
>    http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/base/xml-security.html

Sam,

actually, these Xerces2 failures depend on the enabled parser-features and
on the input values. These tests run through the canonicalization test
suite to canonicalize arbitrary XML documents (which itself are the test
vectors from the c14n spec [1]). These examples include 'strange' XML
snippets with partly defined DTDs just to define a default attr for one of
many elements and things like this.

test31 and test31withComments fail:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n#Example-OutsideDoc

test35 fails:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n#Example-Entities

The three interop tests
IAIKTest.test_coreFeatures_signatures_anonymousReferenceSignature
IAIKTest.test_coreFeatures_signatures_manifestSignature_manifest
IAIKTest.test_coreFeatures_signatures_signatureTypesSignature
fail for similar reasons.

What I need from the parser (I had to search quite long for Xerces1 to find
sufficient settings) is that it does validation as much as possible ;-))
This means that if my DTD only defines one Attribute but I have many
different Elements and Attributes in the XML instance, well, he validates
that Attribute and is silent on all the other things that can't be
validated.

Regards,
Christian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n