Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/14 00:45:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Something I started thinking about and ta da...it's been proposed before --

http://markmail.org/message/gjvwudqnzejlzynz

In my mind, we could use some assistance in the maintenance of the
toolkit for our UI instead of continuing to do it ourselves. This said,
I know next to nothing about QT and from what I've seen, the licensing
is pretty complicated and might not work for the ASF --

 http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/licensing.html#licenses-used-in-qt

Main web site -- http://qt-project.org/

Thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 14 Jan 2015, at 12:27, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> The TL;DR: I don't think there is a reasonable way to depend on Qt in AOO.
>
> I also don't think that depending on Qt, were it feasible, would satisfy the concern that started this thread concerning the difficulty of maintaining [with] VCL.  It might just move the pea to a more-difficult third-party dependency, after requiring a mammoth cut-over to a new GUI framework.

Agreed.
The sole benefit, besides pleasing some, would be to bring in new developers and plausibly more companies. But I doubt the cost of switching would be paid by the influx of contributors and I would expect that if we do want to engage in a new, and probably ruthless refactoring, that we should look elsewhere.

louis

RE: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
The TL;DR: I don't think there is a reasonable way to depend on Qt in AOO.

I also don't think that depending on Qt, were it feasible, would satisfy the concern that started this thread concerning the difficulty of maintaining [with] VCL.  It might just move the pea to a more-difficult third-party dependency, after requiring a mammoth cut-over to a new GUI framework.

 -- replying below to --
Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 13:21:24 -0500
Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 14 Jan 2015, at 12:46, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:27:53 -0800
> > "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Maintaining the independently-developed VCL GUI framework is an
> >> important concern.  (Then there's UNO as a cross-platform COM
> >> derivative.)
> >>
> >> The problem with much of the complexity of AOO, it seems to me,
> >> is that it is difficult to find improvements that can be
> >> achieved with progressions of small changes that have every-
> >> think still working each step of the way. Combined with the
> >> level of expertise required to know what changes are safe
> >> and consistent with the architecture of AOO, there is a big
> >> challenge for identifying any major moves.
> >>
> >> It would be great to know what insights there are for
> >> cultivating and sustaining the necessary expertise and
> >> maybe simplifying the learning curve and entrance
> >> requirements.  Maybe just keep doing more of what is
> >> already being done in this area?
> >>

> > Changing a GUI framework as discussed here is a major task - fraught with difficulty and hidden "gotchas".  It would be better to put the effort going into two areas: bug-fixing - there are many little bugs to be fixed; secondly, improvement in the functionality.  Here is not the place to start a debate on what needs to be changed/improved, but we should bear in mind that "bells and whistles" always attract users.  If we let competitive products outdistance us, we lose our share of the user base.
>
> What “competitive products” do you mean? LibreOffice? Microsoft Office?
>
> Or perhaps you mean Calligra, which actually went through an intense refactoring (successful, too) several years ago. (Calligra is nice, but does not work with Mac OS X very well at all and is not maintained. Plans exist, but I get the feeling it’s like fusion power.)

I didn't want to be over specific, but you mention three I had in mind.  I tried Caligra about a year ago and it blew up on  my test document (an .odt file of a book in progress of some 100K+ words).  It has one potential attractive feature for me - Caligra Author - but this seems largely stalled and redirected towards eBooks - I start out with print books and can easily make an eBook using Calibre, so I lost interest.

> More to the point, and trying to be realistic…. OpenOffice is right now on maintenance mode, as far as I can tell. We will issue a 4.1.2 and probably further micro releases addressing bugs, midges, and gnats. But we’re not slaying dragons nor otherwise attempting ambitious projects.

Running on (X)Ubuntu 14.10 OpenOffice is absolutely reliable (in my experience and for my purposes), but there are frequent reported problems on the Forum with Spellcheck (possibly almost always User finger trouble) and with Impress; in both of these cases (in)compatibility with MS file formats comes up regularly (without mentioning any of the .nnnx formats)..

And it’s not a matter of bells and whistles—of glitter to appeal to fools who can’t otherwise see the gold. It’s rather matter of creating a product that the millions who are going to be using open source productivity applications can actually use on the platforms and environments they are given or buy. These will continue to be desktops (including laptops) but also mobile devices. That is: the future is not like the past and to pretend it is and will continue to so seems to me problematical.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 14 Jan 2015, at 12:46, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:27:53 -0800
> "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Maintaining the independently-developed VCL GUI framework is an
>> important concern.  (Then there's UNO as a cross-platform COM
>> derivative.)
>>
>> The problem with much of the complexity of AOO, it seems to me,
>> is that it is difficult to find improvements that can be
>> achieved with progressions of small changes that have every-
>> think still working each step of the way. Combined with the
>> level of expertise required to know what changes are safe
>> and consistent with the architecture of AOO, there is a big
>> challenge for identifying any major moves.
>>
>> It would be great to know what insights there are for
>> cultivating and sustaining the necessary expertise and
>> maybe simplifying the learning curve and entrance
>> requirements.  Maybe just keep doing more of what is
>> already being done in this area?
>>

> Changing a GUI framework as discussed here is a major task - fraught with difficulty and hidden "gotchas".  It would be better to put the effort going into two areas: bug-fixing - there are many little bugs to be fixed; secondly, improvement in the functionality.  Here is not the place to start a debate on what needs to be changed/improved, but we should bear in mind that "bells and whistles" always attract users.  If we let competitive products outdistance us, we lose our share of the user base.

What “competitive products” do you mean? LibreOffice? Microsoft Office?

Or perhaps you mean Calligra, which actually went through an intense refactoring (successful, too) several years ago. (Calligra is nice, but does not work with Mac OS X very well at all and is not maintained. Plans exist, but I get the feeling it’s like fusion power.)

More to the point, and trying to be realistic…. OpenOffice is right now on maintenance mode, as far as I can tell. We will issue a 4.1.2 and probably further micro releases addressing bugs, midges, and gnats. But we’re not slaying dragons nor otherwise attempting ambitious projects. And it’s not a matter of bells and whistles—of glitter to appeal to fools who can’t otherwise see the gold. It’s rather matter of creating a product that the millions who are going to be using open source productivity applications can actually use on the platforms and environments they are given or buy. These will continue to be desktops (including laptops) but also mobile devices. That is: the future is not like the past and to pretend it is and will continue to so seems to me problematical.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> I resonate with these remarks (two extracts below).  I particularly want
> to acknowledge all of the work that Kay Schenk and several others have put
> into making AOO more approachable by new developers.

Ideed, "Innovation" for change's sake leads to Microsoft's "Ribbon" UI that
(almost) everyone hated.
In other words, when it comes to GUI design, "if it ain't broken, don't fix
it".

just my $0.02
FC
act
- George Orwell

RE: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I resonate with these remarks (two extracts below).  I particularly want to acknowledge all of the work that Kay Schenk and several others have put into making AOO more approachable by new developers.

 -- Extract #1 --
Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 01/14/2015 09:46 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:27:53 -0800 "Dennis E. Hamilton"
> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Maintaining the independently-developed VCL GUI framework is an
>> important concern.  (Then there's UNO as a cross-platform COM
>> derivative.)
>>
>> The problem with much of the complexity of AOO, it seems to me, is
>> that it is difficult to find improvements that can be achieved with
>> progressions of small changes that have every- think still working
>> each step of the way. Combined with the level of expertise required
>> to know what changes are safe and consistent with the architecture
>> of AOO, there is a big challenge for identifying any major moves.
>>
>> It would be great to know what insights there are for cultivating
>> and sustaining the necessary expertise and maybe simplifying the
>> learning curve and entrance requirements.  Maybe just keep doing
>> more of what is already being done in this area?
>>

> Changing a GUI framework as discussed here is a major task - fraught
> with difficulty and hidden "gotchas".  It would be better to put the
> effort going into two areas: bug-fixing - there are many little bugs
> to be fixed; secondly, improvement in the functionality.  Here is not
> the place to start a debate on what needs to be changed/improved, but
> we should bear in mind that "bells and whistles" always attract
> users.  If we let competitive products outdistance us, we lose our
> share of the userbase.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Further thoughts --

* Given licensing conditions of Qt, I was hoping it could be handled as
our other  category-b licenses. This would depend on what libraries are
used of course.
* Yes, a daunting task which is why it hasn't already been done.
* I was initially thinking that a migration like this would:
-- free up developer time to concentrate on other aspects of AOO
-- relieve developers from continual maintenance in graphical environments
-- position AOO better for use on non-desktop platforms

Rory's comments --
" Here is not
> the place to start a debate on what needs to be changed/improved, but
> we should bear in mind that "bells and whistles" always attract
> users.

Ongoing maintenance and new developer knowledge are more a factor to me
than "bells and whistles", really.

"If we let competitive products outdistance us, we lose our
> share of the userbase"

No argument there.

>> -- replying below to --

MzK

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

RE: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I think these proposals are interesting as food for thought ...

 -- replying below to --

Separating the VCL GUI Framework as a separate Apache project, boosting its
adoption into OTHER FOSS and Apache projects. This way, it gets more
developers, more usage, and more fixes, faster.

<orcmid>
  I don't know enough about VCL to know how to stack it up against
  other GUI frameworks, most of which are sustaining quite successfully
  on their own.

  It might make more sense to see if there is an abstraction layer that
  makes integration in other GUI frameworks easier, but I suspect that
  there are well-known difficulties with that idea.

  I think it is important to have a portable, cross-platform approach,
  but it can also be very appealing to be able to adapt to native
  technologies that have performance and platform adaptability of their
  own, and have good sustainability.

  I have no insight into any of that.  Any exploration that comes to
  mind would be on something much smaller than AOO in order to have
  confidence in a proof-of-concept.

  Another consideration: How well one can get VCL interfaces tied to
  an underlying HTML/CSS/JavaScript mechanism, say WebKit or some
  flavoring of node.js?
</orcmid>

1b Doing the same for UNO

<orcmid>
  There are similar considerations here.  At an initial level of
  scrutiny, UNO is a Microsoft COM work-alike that avoids some
  platform messiness.  (I.e., the System Manager doesn't have to
  be ported everywhere.)  That's a good idea but it would also be
  a good idea, if feasible, to ensure binary interoperability with
  COM.  (I know that was figured out for JNI on Windows.)
  That should still provide the scripting inter-op, extension
  plug-ins, and allow reliance on native provisions where there is
  existing support, which means more off-loading to the platform
  when there are already COM interfaces to exploit.
</orcmid>

#2 Making AOO.Next use OpenJFX 2.2+, which is, incidentally, what ORCL
wanted to do with OpenOffice.org and StarOffice before the LO freedom
fighters *pun intended* caused the demise of the product and the layoffs.

http://www.devx.com/blog/2009/06/ellison-hints-at-oracles-java.html

OpenJFX is open source, and beginning with 2.2, allows native packaging of
JFX apps without requiring the installation or availability of the JRE.

Plus, OpenJFX allows the GUIs tweakling to be done in CSS, which in turn
allows for simple portability to mobile devices.
see http://code.makery.ch/blog/javafx-vs-html5/

So far, JavaFX seems to be pretty robust for mission critical apps... if in
doubt ask NASA ;)

http://tune.pk/video/2534676/polaris-javafx-controlsfx-and-fxyz-supporting-nasa-missions

For #2, however, there's licensing issues (OpenJFX being GPL) which I won't
get into because I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know how easy it'd be to
integrate with AOO..

<orcmid>
   The licensing issue apart, this means basically a switch of GUI and more
   Java-ness, however one manages to provide the runtime, if I understand what
   is involved.

   This strikes me as completely abandoning VCL (and I have no idea what it
   does for all the places where UNO is exposed).

   Now I wonder about gradualism and how one might migrate.  I can get my
   head around UNO migration, and I may even be delusional about that.
   It is very difficult to conceive of a rewrite into a completely
   different framework and execution model.

   So this raises the question about the relationship of AOO.next to
   AOO.present and whether we're talking about a new personal productivity
   suite with migration from AOO.past.
</orcmid>

#3 (I know I said two... but...) There's Apache Pivot's WTK tookit. I have
no idea of how well it compared to JavaFX
http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/

<orcmid>
   OK, so it is more commitment to JVM languages.
   No licensing problem, apparently, but it may cut us off from the direction
   mobile applications are going.
</orcmid>

Food for thought, thinking aloud.

FC

act
- George Orwell

Re: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
In 2007 Nokia people were interested in taking this, they were pushing
mobile technology and having an office suite in Qt with the brand awareness
of OpenOffice.Org was a competitive advantage for their platform. I always
offer an open venue to get their sentiment  relayed to some core sun
developers, however never really got a
​ re​al push on the ML. I would have loved to really see the deep technical
details between VCL and Qt's widgets.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 1:45 AM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> oweted

I intended to write "ported"

FC

Re: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 8:57 PM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> I have been working with Qt for many years and have in one project made a
> converter from something similar to our UI descriptions to a Qt
> environment.

I have only experience as an end user of poweted QT apps to the windows
platform, and I can say: avoid it like the plague.
QT apps on Windows tend to become hugue, the bloat added by QT libs is
considerable and plus, the QT apps ported to windows are SLOW TO LOAD.

The size of all the QT libs loading before the app can even be displayed
surely plays a role.

Just my $0.02
FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: [DISCUSS] Qt as a replacement for VCL

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, January 14, 2015, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Something I started thinking about and ta da...it's been proposed before --
>
> http://markmail.org/message/gjvwudqnzejlzynz
>
> In my mind, we could use some assistance in the maintenance of the
> toolkit for our UI instead of continuing to do it ourselves. This said,
> I know next to nothing about QT and from what I've seen, the licensing
> is pretty complicated and might not work for the ASF --

I have been working with Qt for many years and have in one project made a
converter from something similar to our UI descriptions to a Qt environment.

I can only recommend such a step.

As a side remark, translations will become a factor easier,  because the
are stored in their own fileset, meaning we only need to compile once for
all languages.

rgds
jan i