Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Holger Metschulat <ho...@sgs.wh.tu-darmstadt.de> on 1999/03/24 20:17:09 UTC

suexec/4111: SSI #exec cmd="..." does not work with suexec enabled

>Number:         4111
>Category:       suexec
>Synopsis:       SSI #exec cmd="..." does not work with suexec enabled
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When using the SSI command '#exec cmd="/usr/bin/cal 3 1999"' together
with the suexec wrapper enabled, the command cannot be executed
because
1. The command contains a slash on the first position
2. Arguments cannot be passed to programs via suexec
>How-To-Repeat:
Write a sample script an try it ...
>Fix:
Without knowing much of the internals of suexec, I sugges:

1. Try to separate path (/usr/bin) data from program name (cal)
and then cwd to this path before executing suexec with just
the program name (as cgi calls do)
2. The program name and its arguments are passed to suexec
as one argument. Perhaps one should try to separate program
and arguments within suexec by splitting at blanks. But this
imposes that arguments and the program name must not contain blanks.

Do these changes impose security problems?