Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by "GS.Chandra N" <gs...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/23 09:48:03 UTC

Measuring message rates

Hi,

I 'm trying to setup a performance load testing framework for evaluating the
subscription performance and I need to measure the load rates.

The reason i need this is that i'm trying to bombard my broker from multiple
sources and i need to measure the single effective rate of incoming messages
at the broker end.

The qpid-queue-stats tools gives me the enque rate, but i cannot use this
because i'm not trying to enqueu everything i recieve onto other subscribers
due to infrastructure bottle-necks. (maybe later but not right now).

Is there any way i can get this rate from the broker? What other stats are
available from the broker?

Thanks
gs

Re: Measuring message rates

Posted by Andrea Gazzarini <a....@gmail.com>.
Depending on how the monitoring needs to be done, you have two ways :
- visually : as Carl told you, it's possible to use the JConsole shipped
with JDK 1.5 or higher. After selected the desired MBean, simply
double-click on the attribute; the console will start automatically a
monitor on that attribute.

- programmatically : here there are few lines of code that need to be
written. Basically,

1) you must connect to QMan MBean server using JMX procedures;
2) Create one listener + one filter and attach them to QMan MBean. Qman will
notify the listener when a new connection (in the example below)

public class Example
{
static MBeanServer mbeanServer;
        // This is listening for attribute changes
static class ConnectionAttributeListener implements NotificationListener,
Serializable
{
public void handleNotification(Notification notification,Object handback)
{
// each time we are here means the monitor sent a notification because the
// attribute value has changed (according to monitor rules).
}
}
        // This listener is notified each time a new connection is created.
static class ConnectionLifeCycleListener implements
NotificationListener,Serializable
{

public void handleNotification(Notification notification,Object handback)
{
// A NEW CONNECTION HAS BEEN CREATED!
 try
{
// Creates & Initializes the monitor
ObjectName monitorName = new
ObjectName("YourApp:Name=ConnectionWatcher,Type=Monitor");
mbeanServer.createMBean("javax.management.monitor.GaugeMonitor",
monitorName);
 // ...and attaches a listener
mbeanServer.addNotificationListener(
monitorName,
new ConnectionAttributeListener(),
null,
null);
 } catch(Exception exception)
{
 }
}
}
        // This is used for filtering notification (we wants to receive a
notification only when a connection is created).
static class ConnectionFilter implements NotificationFilter
{
public boolean isNotificationEnabled(Notification notification)
{
return
EntityLifecycleNotification.INSTANCE_ADDED_NOTIFICATION_TYPE.equals(notification.getType())
&&
("connection".equals(((EntityLifecycleNotification)notification).getClassName()));
}
}
{
// QMan Object Name
ObjectName qman = new ObjectName("Q-MAN:Name=QMan,Type=Service");
 // Reference to MBean server where QMan is running...
mbeanServer = null; //...
 // Register your connection listener
mbeanServer.addNotificationListener(
qman,
new ConnectionLifeCycleListener(),
new ConnectionFilter(),
null);
}
}

Regards,
Andrea

Re: Measuring message rates

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Measuring message rates

Posted by "GS.Chandra N" <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Measuring message rates

Posted by Andrea Gazzarini <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Measuring message rates

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Measuring message rates

Posted by "GS.Chandra N" <gs...@gmail.com>.
Carl, Thanks for the reply.

Re: Measuring message rates

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
GS.Chandra N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I 'm trying to setup a performance load testing framework for evaluating the
> subscription performance and I need to measure the load rates.
>
> The reason i need this is that i'm trying to bombard my broker from multiple
> sources and i need to measure the single effective rate of incoming messages
> at the broker end.
>
> The qpid-queue-stats tools gives me the enque rate, but i cannot use this
> because i'm not trying to enqueu everything i recieve onto other subscribers
> due to infrastructure bottle-necks. (maybe later but not right now).
>
> Is there any way i can get this rate from the broker? What other stats are
> available from the broker?
>
> Thanks
> gs

There are a tone of stats, I am note sure there is a broker wide load
number however, that would need to be aggregated
I would think. All the rate info for each connection or queue can be
retrieved via QMF and then it can aggregated.

Best would be to use qpid-tool to find the stat to aggregate and then
write a QMF client to pull those stats, connection can
give you in bytes.

qpid: show connection

Object of type org.apache.qpid.broker:connection: (last sample time:
14:20:32)
    Type       Element           110
    property   vhostRef          103
    property   address           127.0.0.1:60869
    property   incoming          True
    property   SystemConnection  False
    property   federationLink    False
    property   authIdentity      guest@QPID
    statistic  closing           False
    statistic  framesFromClient  61
    statistic  framesToClient    0
    statistic  bytesFromClient   3648
    statistic  bytesToClient     0
qpid:

An easier way would be to use the data off the exchanges, as their are
less of them to aggregate.

qpid: show exchange
Object of type org.apache.qpid.broker:exchange: (last sample time: 14:22:42)
    Type       Element            104     105              106
107        108         109

=====================================================================================================
    property   vhostRef           103     103              103
103        103         103
    property   name                       qpid.management  amq.direct
amq.topic  amq.fanout  amq.match
    property   type               direct  topic            direct
topic      fanout      headers
    property   durable            False   False            True
True       True        True
    property   arguments          {}      {}               {}