Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by "MARK, STU (SBCSI)" <sm...@att.com> on 2006/06/03 00:36:37 UTC

RE: AIX/IHS and embperl build issues

	Now it's getting fun.
	Here's where I've gotten to, and am kind of stuck.
	Although I don't know how much your shared library linker
expertise goes, but I thought I'd ask.
	Either I'm way way off the mark or here's what's happening:

	When IHS parses httpd.conf it gets to the HTML:Embperl (we're
working with 1.3* here) and tries to load it and httpd blows up.
	I tracked it down to this: dXSARGS;
	Then I learned what XS is.
	You put MODULE = HTML::Embperl      PACKAGE = HTML::Embperl
PREFIX = embperl_
	in Embperl.xs and all sorts of stuff is generated by the
precompiler.
	So I dug. One macro leads to another and so on until I got to
this:
	SV **sp = PL_stack_sp;
	And that blows up with a segfault.
	PL_stack_sp is a pointer to a struct in libperl.so
	Can't even resolve the pointer. So I starting thinking linker.
	Then I started thinking that there wasn't much I can do about it
except go hunting around for  weird aix linker options. (Many a wise
developer has said bad things to me about the aix linker.)
	The only other thought I had was to see if it was them or me, so
I added a char *globalvar to Embperl.c and to mod_perl.c, added the
export, rebuilt both ran again.
	Embperl.c can find the one in Embperl.c but blows up the same
way when it tries to get the variable reference in mod_perl.c. Not good.
	I had one more thought: If I get a chance, which I probably
won't, I am going to try the whole shebang on 4.3.3 and see if that
helps. I can't see how whatever they did different between apache, and
IHS would cause the linker to go wonky like that. But I can see an OS
level change doing that.

	The other direction I went in for a little while, was just
trying mod_perl. It would seem that it loads okay, but it doesn't run
either.
	It dies here: perl_header_parser(0x20141a40), line 1017 in
"mod_perl.c"
	which is:    PERL_CALLBACK("PerlInitHandler",
cld->PerlInitHandler);
	Great. More macros.
	Haven't had a chance to chase this one down, but I'm betting
it's the same linker weirdness.
	So my next thing is to try 4.3.3 and see if that helps or causes
any change.

	I wonder if anybody has even certified IHS to run on 5.2, maybe
that's a problem in itself.

	If this rant has provoked any thought or insight, please, do
tell.

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> 	The other direction I went in for a little while, was just
> trying mod_perl. It would seem that it loads okay, but it doesn't run
> either.
> 	It dies here: perl_header_parser(0x20141a40), line 1017 in
> "mod_perl.c"
> 	which is:    PERL_CALLBACK("PerlInitHandler",
> cld->PerlInitHandler);
> 	Great. More macros.
> 	Haven't had a chance to chase this one down, but I'm betting
> it's the same linker weirdness.
> 	So my next thing is to try 4.3.3 and see if that helps or causes
> any change.

I would suggest to first get mod_perl working. For this go to the mod_perl
mailing list and ask your questions there, because there are much more
mod_perl users, then Embperl users, so there is a higher chance that somebody
had run into this same linker trouble already, and maybe solved it...

Gerald

P.S. Please keep us up to date if you made any progress.

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **