Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Alon Shaby <Al...@nice.com> on 2013/11/17 14:21:17 UTC

Apache CXF - licensing question

Hi,

I would like to ask regarding the license of the Apache CXF version 2.2. and related dependencies.
I can see that CXF is Apache License, Version 2.0<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>. I can also see that CXF bundle using  WSDL4J (http://sf.net/projects/wsdl4j) wsdl4j:wsdl4j:jar:1.6.2 which is a CPL license.
Can you pls advise if CXF is still under Apache License, Version 2.0<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0> even though it using WSDL4J jar which has a CPL license?

Regards,
Alon Shaby

Re: Apache CXF - licensing question

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Nov 17, 2013, at 8:21 AM, Alon Shaby <Al...@nice.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask regarding the license of the Apache CXF version 2.2. and related dependencies.
> I can see that CXF is Apache License, Version 2.0<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>. I can also see that CXF bundle using  WSDL4J (http://sf.net/projects/wsdl4j) wsdl4j:wsdl4j:jar:1.6.2 which is a CPL license.
> Can you pls advise if CXF is still under Apache License, Version 2.0<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0> even though it using WSDL4J jar which has a CPL license?

CXF itself is Apache licensed.  However, CXF does depend on several third party libraries that are not Apache licensed, but have licenses that are compatible at some level.  Those include things under eclipse licenses (Jetty), CDDL (jaxb-impl, various api jars), MIT license (slf4j), CPL (wsdl4j), etc….

CPL is considered a “Weak Copyleft” license that Apache projects can depend on and ship in binary form.   See:
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

--
Daniel Kulp