Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by chris <dr...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/04 14:25:12 UTC

ODE sensitivity to displacement in space or time

Hi,

For my Thesis, I had reason to perform a number of identical
experiments with simple variations: displacements in space or time.
One set of experiments was using ODE:

I did a simple rigid body physics experiment using pyode: dropped a
box near a stationary box onto a plane. I saved an image of the rest
position of the box. The experiment is repeatable: the box lands in
same place each time relative to the stationary one.

Then I moved the whole experiment by (10,10,10) and repeated it. The
box rest position was different.

I also repeated the first experiment with the only difference being
that I programmed it to wait 8000 seconds before dropping the box.
Again the rest position was difference.

What do the developers of ODE have to say as to the cause of the
sensitivity of ODE to changes in position or time?

Attached are images of the rest position in the first and second
experiments and the code used to produce each. Also image of the time
displaced version and its code.

The hardware I was using was a VAIO notebook: intel 770 CPU with
radeon x600 GPU. For python install I followed the steps from Miriam
English:

1. installed python 2.4
       python-2.4.3.msi
       http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/

2. edited autoexec.bat to add:
       SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\python
       SET PYTHON=C:\PYTHON\

3. installed pyOpenGL
       PyOpenGL-2.0.2.01.py2.4-numpy23.exe
       http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net

4. Copied glut32.dll to the C:\python\Lib\site-packages\OpenGL
directory. (This is a *crucial* step.)
       glut32.dll
       http://www.xmission.com/%7Enate/glut.html

5. installed OpenGLContext
       OpenGLContext-2.0.0c1.win32-py2.4.exe
       http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/context/
       (downloaded from http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/ )

6. installed PIL (python Image Library)
       PIL-1.1.5.win32-py2.4.exe
       http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

7. installed pyODE
       PyODE-1.1.0.win32-py2.4.exe
       http://pyode.sourceforge.net/

Now I can double-click on the tutorial3.py from
http://pyode.sourceforge.net/ and it simply runs!

thanks,

chris

Re: ODE sensitivity to displacement in space or time

Posted by chris <dr...@gmail.com>.
Anyway, nice talkin to u guys, I better get off this list now.
I'll sign off with a little process (not to do) for the process heads here :)

1. Wait till late at night
2. Drink some Baileys
3. That went down nice and smooth, drink some more!
4. Find that list you've been meaning to post to.
5. Hmm - that site's down - find where it moved to, ok, seems to be on
this site...
6. Subscribe and post ... Ooops!

cheers,

Posted by chris <dr...@gmail.com>.
That's interesting - I wrote something similar once, I think I'll
resurrect it :)

As for MUP - from what I just read - it is about any two "builds" of
Maven will not produce the same result :).

chris

Posted by Maciej Szefler <mb...@intalio.com>.

Posted by chris <dr...@gmail.com>.
Glad to provide entertainment early in the new year :)

chris

Posted by Zubin Wadia <zw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zubin Wadia <zw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by chris <dr...@gmail.com>.