Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com> on 2017/09/09 07:51:50 UTC

Full HTML/Java API history with Emililan's repo

Hi.
As you may noticed the NetBeans source code donation is just a ZIP file - e.g.
it has no history. However history of the project is important source of
information, and it would be bad if we lost it. Thanks to Emilian, we still
have it.

Here is how you can create a combined repository with full history for HTML/
Java API:

$ git clone https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-html4j html+java+both
$ cd html+java+both
$ git log boot/src/main/java/net/java/html/boot/BrowserBuilder.java

This gives you just two log entries. The initial checkin and change of the
headers to Apache. But then the magic comes:

$ git remote add emilian https://github.com/emilianbold/netbeans-html4j
$ git fetch emilian
$ git replace 408363d d029b8e

And when you search the log, or use the blame tool, the full history is
available:

$ git log boot/src/main/java/net/java/html/boot/BrowserBuilder.java
$ git blame boot/src/main/java/net/java/html/boot/BrowserBuilder.java

Thanks Emilian!
-jt

Re: Full HTML/Java API history with Emililan's repo

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.
>> Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>: 09.09.17 @ 12:29 <<
> Thinking with my Apache hat on, we need to establish what the status is of
> Emilian's GitHub repo.

One of the commits in Emilian repositories (for HTML/Java or NetBeans itself)
shall exactly match the initial commit into Apache. The status has been
described in the Git steps bellow: follow them and you get the whole history
of NetBeans code - e.g. the Emilian repositories are essential helpful tools.

The important thing is to prevent  commits from pre-Apache days to sneak into
Apache repository. In HTML/Java repository bottom most unwanted commit is:

commit ae545b52dccd26160756b00c11fdfa93814f3c3e
Author: Jaroslav Tulach <jt...@netbeans.org>
Date:   Fri Apr 19 10:01:02 2013 +0200

    Initial version of the JSON model APIs.

this commit shall never get into the Apache repo. Otherwise it would be a sign
that somebody merged pre-Apache work/history into Apache repo.

Infra knowledgeable guys, is there a way to add a git hook to guarantee that?
Another JIRA issue for INFRA?

-jt

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Thinking with my Apache hat on, we need to establish what the status is of
Emilian's GitHub repo. Could it be considered as a fork of pre-Apache

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-html4j#readme

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.
On sobota 9. září 2017 9:51:50 CEST Jaroslav Tulach wrote:
> Hi.
> As you may noticed the NetBeans source code donation is just a ZIP file -
> e.g. it has no history. However history of the project is important source
> of information, and it would be bad if we lost it. Thanks to Emilian, we
> still have it.
>
> Here is how you can create a combined repository with full history for HTML/
> Java API:

I've just added this info into README.md file:
file:///home/devel/NetBeansProjects/incubator-netbeans-html4j/target/site/
apidocs/net/java/html/json/doc-files/html4j.png

Thanks again Emilian.
-jt