Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Sean Hamilton <se...@seanhamilton.co.uk> on 2013/08/23 18:08:44 UTC

4.2 VMware memory overcommit

Hey guys,

I'm playing around with 4.2 and VMware vSphere (version 5.0).
We're interested in memory overcommit, but the observed behaviour isn't
what I expected.

I'm seeing my instances being created in vCenter with a memory reservation
that is equal to the configured memory. If I then change the overcommit
setting to 2.0 I see instances being created with a reservation that is
half of the configured memory.

There is a global setting of vmware.reserve.mem that is set to false, but I
don't see it making a difference. I get the same behaviour if it's true or
false.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Sean

Re: 4.2 VMware memory overcommit

Posted by Sean Hamilton <se...@seanhamilton.co.uk>.
Using the latest build fixed this issue for me. Thank you.

Posted by Harikrishna Patnala <ha...@citrix.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dean Kamali <de...@gmail.com>.
I know this may sound silly, but I haven't found clear instructions on how
to setup CS 4.2 "without deb packages" can some provide me with some
insight on how to set it up.

Thank you

Re: 4.2 VMware memory overcommit

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi, did you figure this out?  It sounds like you are changing global
settings (mem.overprovisioning.factor) which I believe is not correct.
These settings exist in previous versions and (despite the name) are for
controlling reservations.  I believe the new overcommit settings are
configured at the cluster level.

Best regards,
Kirk