Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Cyber Dog <cy...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/05 23:20:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Limiting vhosts in a shared environment

Hi All,
  I'm working on a managed hosting project right now, running Apache
2.  We've got quite a few vhosts set up running on shared hardware.
Today we hit an interesting snag: one host, which gets fairly high
traffic, running Ruby under FastCGI basically hit a condition that
would hang their app.  The servers quickly hit MaxClients thanks to
the hanging app and effectively went offline.  We're now tasked with
preventing this issue in the future, and I'm looking for advice on how
to accomplish this.  I've looked through the available Apache
configuration directives, but none of them seems particularly well
suited toward limiting vhosts from consuming all the apache processes.
 The only directives I found were more focused on system resources
(RLimit___) than distribution of vhosts.  This seems to me that it has
to be an issue addressed by other hosting firms, so I'm curious how
it's handled elsewhere.

Thanks,
Matt