Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hugh Williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com> on 2002/04/10 22:38:57 UTC

port redirect question

Hi;

Well, I *thought* I knew what I was doing...

I want to cause all visits to

http://foo.bar.com/<stuff>

to be sent to

http://foo.bar.com:8888/<stuff>

I've tried various combinations of virtual hosts and/or rewrite
directives, but the results have been less than perfect.  Does someone
have a simple recipe t oaccomplish this transformation consistently?

Thanks,

hugh

--
 Hugh Williams                  "Rome did not create a great empire by
 hugh_williams@agilent.com       having meetings...they did it by

Re: port redirect question

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
Hans Juergen von Lengerke wrote:

> Depends what you mean with 'to be sent to'. In any case you will need
> mod_rewrite and two virtual hosts, one for foo.bar.com:80 and one for
> foo.bar.com:8888.  Assuming you don't want any other virtual hosts on
> the machine you could do:
>
>   Listen 80
>   Listen 8888
>
>   <VirtualHost _default_:80>
>     ServerName foo.bar.com
>     ____ here goes your rewrite rule ____
>   </VirtualHost>
>
>   <VirtualHost _default_:8888>
>     ServerName foo.bar.com
>   </VirtualHost>
>
> Now, if 'to be sent to' means the browser should be redirected to the
> 8888 server you'd put in your rewrite rule:
>
>     RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://foo.bar.com:8888$1 [R]
>
> If you want the request to be proxied internally (ie. the browser
> shouldn't be aware of the 8888 server) you'd do:
>
>     RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://foo.bar.com:8888$1 [P]
>     ProxyPassReverse / http://foo.bar.com:8888
>
> Check the documentation on Rewrite and VirtualHosts.
>
> Good Luck, Hans
>

> Hugh Williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com> on Apr 10, 2002:
>

>>Hi;
>>
>>Well, I *thought* I knew what I was doing...
>>
>>I want to cause all visits to
>>
>>http://foo.bar.com/<stuff>
>>
>>to be sent to
>>
>>http://foo.bar.com:8888/<stuff>
>>
>>I've tried various combinations of virtual hosts and/or rewrite
>>directives, but the results have been less than perfect.  Does someone
>>have a simple recipe t oaccomplish this transformation consistently?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>hugh

if you're still stuck with mod_rewrite and want immediate results,

simply use a meta redirect tag with 0 within the head of your main index.html

--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund    Thum
|  |