Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jean-Philippe Lavertu <jp...@optosecurity.com> on 2008/09/10 13:14:06 UTC

external definitions not showing up in web browser

Hi,

Our software team here is using external definitions (
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html ) on our svn server (
running 1.4.2 r22196 ) and for some reason , they are not working when
using a web browser, but they do when using a SVN client like Tortoise
or kdesvn.  Now the software guys asked me if it's possible to make the
external definitions work or showup with Apache.  I've searched around
the web yesterday and haven't found anything really helpful so I thought
of joining the mailing list.

Thanks in advance,

JP

Re: external definitions not showing up in web browser

Posted by Sam Barnett-Cormack <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.
Jean-Philippe Lavertu wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Our software team here is using external definitions (
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html ) on our svn server (
> running 1.4.2 r22196 ) and for some reason , they are not working when
> using a web browser, but they do when using a SVN client like Tortoise
> or kdesvn.  Now the software guys asked me if it’s possible to make the
> external definitions work or showup with Apache.  I’ve searched around
> the web yesterday and haven’t found anything really helpful so I thought
> of joining the mailing list.

Maybe using one of the web-based frontends it could work, but it's not
going to work with mod_dav_svn because that's just not how they work;
externals are processed by the client when checking out/updating.
Browsing a repo with mod_dav_svn isn't using a client, it's directly
accessing the server with a web browser.

Sam