Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Matt Bishop <mb...@infowave.com> on 2004/05/03 03:56:09 UTC

JDK 1.3.1 port COMPLETE

The port of XMLBeans v1.0.2 is complete.  All DRTs pass and the command-line
tools and the ant task execute correctly under JDK 1.3.1.  I have tested it
on Windows XP, Linux RH 9 and OS X 10.3.

I am not sure what the next step is as far as contributing it, as the
changes are more than a simple source patch.  They include the following:

1. New libs added:
*     jakarta-commons collections v3.0
*     xerces-j 2.6.2 (xercesImpl.jar, xml-apis.jar)

2. A few new Util classes were added to support URL string manipulation.
The source is from the Apache Cocoon 2.1 project.

3. Public API (org.apache.xmlbeans) modified:

* public GDate(CharSequence string) -> public GDate(String string)
* public GDateBuilder(CharSequence string) -> public
GDateBuilder(CharSequence string)
* public GDuration(CharSequence str) -> public GDuration(String str)
* XmlCalendar.get(int field) -> XmlCalendar.peek(int field).  This change
necessitates the user having to cast their Calendar object returned from a
xs:date to the XmlCalendar type in order to examine fields without forcing
the completion of the entire Calendar field set.  This change was required
because JDK 1.3 marked GregorianCalendar.get() as final.
* XmlError.toString(URI base) -> XmlError.toString(URL base)
* XmlException and XmlRuntimeException have two new methods:
> * public Throwable getCause()
> * public Throwable initCause()

Feature fidelity is complete.  No functionality was dropped in the port,
including embedded Exceptions and disable-able assertions.  Assertions can
be disabled by setting the property ³xmlbeans.da² in the environment before
running.

Performance is roughly the same as the JDK 1.4 version, both with and
without assertions on in both versions.

If someone wants to try out, let me know.

Matt Bishop