Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de> on 2003/05/18 21:04:26 UTC

Packaging of Cactus 1.5

Hi all,

as we are approaching the next release of Cactus, I'd like to get some
basic agreement on the packaging.

Here's the releases of the last stable version (1.4.1):

   http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-cactus/release/v1.4.1/

And here's the nightly build releases:

   http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-cactus/nightly/2003-05-18/

As you can see things have become a bit more complex, at least from the
users point of view. What I'd like to propose is a packaging that is
much closer to the 1.4.1 release, with less downloadable artificats as
to not cause too much confusion.

So, what I think we should provide are the following packages:

1/ jakarta-cactus-13-1.5.zip
    |- docs [website, API docs, code coverage reports, etc]
    |- lib [cactus.jar, cactus-ant.jar, dependancies]
    |- samples
    |   |- jetty
    |   |- servlet
    |- web

(where you can replace 13 with 12 as the J2EE version)

2/ jakarta-cactus-13-1.5-src.zip
   (the same as a fresh CVS checkout of the release tag)

You'll probably notice that this closely mirrors the packaging of the
1.4.1 distribution. With a single download you get pretty much all you
need to get started.

Now we also offer an Eclipse plugin. For that, we'll probably make an
update site for installing the plugins from within Eclipse. In addition,
there needs to be a regular downloadable archive, of course:

3/ jakarta-cactus-eclipse-13-1.5.zip
    |- features
    |   |- org.apache.cactus.eclipse_1.5.0
    |- plugins
    |   |- org.apache.cactus.eclipse.runner_1.5.0
    |   |- org.apache.cactus.eclipse.webapp_1.5.0

(this will need to be discussed in more detail, I guess... for example
  can be provide the documentation as an extension to the Eclipse help
  system? etc)

This makes a total of 5 packages, which seems manageable. Also, there's
less disruption compared to the 1.4.1.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de

RE: Packaging of Cactus 1.5

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

+1

> (where you can replace 13 with 12 as the J2EE version)
>
> 2/ jakarta-cactus-13-1.5-src.zip
>    (the same as a fresh CVS checkout of the release tag)

+1

> You'll probably notice that this closely mirrors the packaging of the
> 1.4.1 distribution. With a single download you get pretty much all you
> need to get started.
>
> Now we also offer an Eclipse plugin. For that, we'll probably make an
> update site for installing the plugins from within Eclipse. In
addition,
> there needs to be a regular downloadable archive, of course:
>
> 3/ jakarta-cactus-eclipse-13-1.5.zip
>     |- features
>     |   |- org.apache.cactus.eclipse_1.5.0
>     |- plugins
>     |   |- org.apache.cactus.eclipse.runner_1.5.0
>     |   |- org.apache.cactus.eclipse.webapp_1.5.0

ok, except that the site is not actually a zip but an *installed* web
site. I would like exactly the same as on
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/~checkout~/org.eclipse.ajdt
/download.html for the Eclipse AJDT plugins.

> (this will need to be discussed in more detail, I guess... for example
>   can be provide the documentation as an extension to the Eclipse help
>   system? etc)

That's not required for Cactus 1.5 I believe. Can we put that for 1.6 as
I'd like to release 1.5 asap?

> This makes a total of 5 packages, which seems manageable. Also,
there's
> less disruption compared to the 1.4.1.

ok. Please go ahead! :-)

Thanks