Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Simone Gianni <s....@thebug.it> on 2006/04/04 13:31:44 UTC

The all embarassing presentation email :-)

Hello everybody all and thanks to all of you for voting me as a committer.

I'm so excited to become part of the ASF, expecially  within the cocoon
project who driven my web developing experience in the last 6 years. I
wanted to let you know something about myself as per the Cocoon
tradition: I assume you all know how embarassing it is to talk about
oneself, so I'll just get on with some random notes. :)

I'm 27 and I live in Rome, Italy. I started programming when i was about
7 with C64. It happened for a simple and completely random situation : i
received a C64 and a game, inside the C64 box there were two manuals, a
short one to run the game, and a big one teaching basic programming. I
tried the small one, but since the game wasn't working i tried to read
the big one and simply type what was written there, but it took time
(and a lot of LOGO programming) to discovered why 10 print "ciao" 20
goto 10 caused a lot of "ciao" on my screen :)

I decided not to attend university and started working as a freelance.
Perl first and PHP/mysql then were the leading technologies back in
1997. For another incredibly random situation, I arrived in Milan in
march 2000 to work for Bibop Research, which some of you might remember,
where I had the incredible opportunity to work with Gianugo Rabellino,
Ricardo Rocha and meet people like Stefano Mazzocchi and many other very
skilled guys. I left Bibop a few months later, but this experience
pushed me into Cocoon.

I currently own a small company, and we work mainly with Cocoon. In the
last couple of years we've been collaborating a lot with Pronetics (and
from now on with Sourcesense) on intranet applications heavily based on
cocoon-forms (a corporate banking and an administration system for a
university, a total of about 300 cocoon forms, being the leading
projects), binding directly on backend beans, so actually my main area
of interest is cocoon forms and more specifically it's interaction with
beans and backend persistence (with a strong focus on Hibernate lately).

But I'll not limit my work to this field, I look forward to help out
consolidating, improving and expanding this great framework, and I'm
thrilled to be part of this incredible community. Thanks again to
everyone who voted me: I consider being over here a great accomplishment.

Simone

--
Simone Gianni

Re: The all embarassing presentation email :-)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
10 print "Welcome on board Simone!"
20 goto 10
run 10
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on board Simone!
Welcome on b^C
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana Qwerty

Re: The all embarassing presentation email :-)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 4 avr. 06 à 13:31, Simone Gianni a écrit :

> ...Hello everybody all and thanks to all of you for voting me as a
> committer...

Welcome and thank you for the introduction!
With your experience, it sounds like it was a really good idea to
vote you in!

-Bertrand

Re: The all embarassing presentation email :-)

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Simone Gianni wrote:

> and "child-friendly" (like Logo was, today what?)

Today still Logo, imho ;-)

Thanks,

Andrew.
Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/

Re: The all embarassing presentation email :-)

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Simone Gianni wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> A question: what language where these books written in: English or
>> Italian? I'm always amazed to see kids learning to program right after
>> learning to read. Computers weren't widespread when I was 7 (that was in
>> 1974) and I "only" started at 13, having already some english
>> background.
>
> Surprisingly it was in Italian. Then when i started Logo (a suggestion
> from a friend of my father when i told him i was doing weird stuff
> with basic on C64), I asked my father to buy a book on logo, but he
> took me a book in english, since it was hard to understand it, I asked
> my father to go back to the bookshop and take a "The same book on
> logo, but the italian version", and he took me a book about Logo in
> italian, but unfortunately for the "Italian version of Logo", where
> all commands were translated ... "FW" was translated in "AV", "RT" in
> "DS" etc .. :)

Oh, I remember something similar on my Apple II: some people provided a
translated version of the Basic keywords, and were calling this dialect
"Basicois". Totally ununderstandable if you already knew the original
Basic, even without knowing english ;-)

> My personal suggestion is to try to go for english, since it would
> improve both english and technical skills at once, but since a foreign
> language is often hard to approach, maybe starting with something
> simple and "child-friendly" (like Logo was, today what?) in native
> language can give the child the right interest and movivation to try
> an english book later.

I found some nice material in french for my kids for PHP and Python. But
the oldest one (14) has switched for quite some time now to the english
docs: the Python reference manual is currently on his night table!

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez
http://bluxte.net

Re: The all embarassing presentation email :-)

Posted by Simone Gianni <s....@thebug.it>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>A question: what language where these books written in: English or
>Italian? I'm always amazed to see kids learning to program right after
>learning to read. Computers weren't widespread when I was 7 (that was in
>1974) and I "only" started at 13, having already some english background.

Surprisingly it was in Italian. Then when i started Logo (a suggestion
from a friend of my father when i told him i was doing weird stuff with
basic on C64), I asked my father to buy a book on logo, but he took me a
book in english, since it was hard to understand it, I asked my father
to go back to the bookshop and take a "The same book on logo, but the
italian version", and he took me a book about Logo in italian, but
unfortunately for the "Italian version of Logo", where all commands were
translated ... "FW" was translated in "AV", "RT" in "DS" etc .. :)

My personal suggestion is to try to go for english, since it would
improve both english and technical skills at once, but since a foreign
language is often hard to approach, maybe starting with something simple
and "child-friendly" (like Logo was, today what?) in native language can
give the child the right interest and movivation to try an english book
later.

>Eh, welcome aboard Simone!

Thanks!

Simone

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Simone Gianni wrote:
> Hello everybody all and thanks to all of you for voting me as a
> committer.
>
> I'm so excited to become part of the ASF, expecially  within the
> cocoon project who driven my web developing experience in the last 6
> years. I wanted to let you know something about myself as per the
> Cocoon tradition: I assume you all know how embarassing it is to talk
> about oneself, so I'll just get on with some random notes. :)
>
> I'm 27 and I live in Rome, Italy. I started programming when i was
> about 7 with C64. It happened for a simple and completely random
> situation : i received a C64 and a game, inside the C64 box there were
> two manuals, a short one to run the game, and a big one teaching basic
> programming.

A question: what language where these books written in: English or
Italian? I'm always amazed to see kids learning to program right after
learning to read. Computers weren't widespread when I was 7 (that was in
1974) and I "only" started at 13, having already some english background.

> I tried the small one, but since the game wasn't working i tried to
> read the big one and simply type what was written there, but it took
> time (and a lot of LOGO programming) to discovered why 10 print "ciao"
> 20 goto 10 caused a lot of "ciao" on my screen :)
>
> I decided not to attend university and started working as a freelance.
> Perl first and PHP/mysql then were the leading technologies back in
> 1997. For another incredibly random situation, I arrived in Milan in
> march 2000 to work for Bibop Research, which some of you might
> remember, where I had the incredible opportunity to work with Gianugo
> Rabellino, Ricardo Rocha and meet people like Stefano Mazzocchi and
> many other very skilled guys. I left Bibop a few months later, but
> this experience pushed me into Cocoon.

Wow, Bibop again? Looks like Cocoon wouldn't have been there if Bibop
had not existed :-)

> I currently own a small company, and we work mainly with Cocoon. In
> the last couple of years we've been collaborating a lot with Pronetics
> (and from now on with Sourcesense) on intranet applications heavily
> based on cocoon-forms (a corporate banking and an administration
> system for a university, a total of about 300 cocoon forms, being the
> leading projects), binding directly on backend beans, so actually my
> main area of interest is cocoon forms and more specifically it's
> interaction with beans and backend persistence (with a strong focus on
> Hibernate lately).

Cool. I understand now your interest in CForms!

Posted by Simone Gianni <s....@thebug.it>.
Hi All,
Jorg Heymans wrote:

>darn, meet-up opportunity missed ! I was there last weekend :)

Noooo ... it's fun to meet new people.

I've just created a Frappr group for cocoon. You can find it here
http://www.frappr.com/cocoondev .

Frappr is nice, it's a kind of geographical "groupware", the group have
member that state their geographical location, so can help us avoid
going somewhere and not meeting cocoon people who lives there :)

It's called "cocoondev", but it's actually open also to users, so sign in !!

Simone

P.S. : Andrew just told me that there is already a file with committers
geographical locations. Unfortunately I can't see it yet since i dont'
yet have access to cocoon private repos. Anyway, seems like Frappr is by
far simpler and nicer (and also, is AJAX :) :) ), so I still think it's
a good idea to use it.

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
Simone Gianni wrote:

> I'm 27 and I live in Rome, Italy.

darn, meet-up opportunity missed ! I was there last weekend :)

Jorg