Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/14 21:59:21 UTC

Possible workspace for jetty 6 work and other jee5 stuff

I'm trying to get a jpa-aware server constructed so I can see if my
code actually works so I've been setting up sandbox/jee5-jta so we
can have jee5 modules, configs, and assemblies.  I think this might
be an ok place to work on other jee5 stuff like the jetty6
integration without duplicating the entire server and dealing with
the associated update headaches.

thoughts?

thanks
david jencks

Re: Possible workspace for jetty 6 work and other jee5 stuff

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Open your address book, see if there is an entry that is being binded
to that name.

On Sep 14, 2006, at 4:37 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>
>> On 9/14/06, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get a jpa-aware server constructed so I can see if my
>>> code actually works so I've been setting up sandbox/jee5-jta so we
>>> can have jee5 modules, configs, and assemblies.  I think this might
>>> be an ok place to work on other jee5 stuff like the jetty6
>>> integration without duplicating the entire server and dealing with
>>> the associated update headaches.
>>>
>>> thoughts?
>>
>> Sounds good.
>>
>> BTW: Why do you use "Donald Woods (JIRA)"
>> <de...@geronimo.apache.org> in
>> the To: field?
>
> because I haven't figured out how to get apple mail to quit putting
> that in.  Anyone have a clue about how to fix this? Help! Help!
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>

>> Jacek
>>
>> --
>> Jacek Laskowski
>> http://www.laskowski.net.pl

-sachin

Re: Possible workspace for jetty 6 work and other jee5 stuff

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 9/18/06, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do we want to try to support a j2ee1.4 jetty6 version or just jee5
> jetty6?

"As you wish" (and your time permits) ;-)

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: Possible workspace for jetty 6 work and other jee5 stuff

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Sep 21, 2006, at 1:06 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> If you are not too fast, I can have a look to the WADI integration
> over the week-end (I have some WADI enhancements to complete
> first). Also, do you know if Jetty6 AbstractSessionManager will be
> updated to allow import and export of Sessions. This will simplify
> the WADI integration.

Greg added addSession and removeSession methods to the jetty6
AbstractSessionManager to handle the locking/id management.  I think
this is what we want.... I will try to hook it up where I think it
goes but you may get there first.

Many thanks!
david jencks

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
Hi David,

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
On 23/09/2006, at 5:25 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2006, at 6:38 PM, Gianny Damour wrote:
>
>> On 23/09/2006, at 11:06 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>>

>>> I haven't looked into the wadi stuff yet.  I believe greg has
>>> committed the changes I wanted so we can import and export
>>> sessions, but I haven't hooked up to them yet.
>> Greg has added addSession(Session session, boolean created) and
>> removeSession(Session session, boolean invalidate) which do
>> exactly that. It seems that there is a compilation issue with
>> Jetty6 TransformingWebAppClassLoader.getResources overrides the
>> final method ClassLoader. getResources and hence it is not
>> possible to build jetty6 from trunk.
>
> I was seeing jetty 6 test failures but not this problem.  On the
> other hand codehaus svn doesn't seem to be available right now here.
My bad. I was trying to compile with 1.4 and Jetty6 requires 1.5,
where ClassLoader.getResources is no more final. I also see these
test failures.

>> I am still investigating why the console is not working and I am
>> stuck: this works on my box and after a review of the code I do
>> not see where the problem could be. Do you have any idea how I
>> could proceed (I debugged end-to-end the handling of a request and
>> I do not really see a problem)?
>
> I couldn't see where the problem was being introduced either, but I
> get it consistently.  I'll see if I can figure out what is going
> on.... or maybe we can just move to jetty 6 :-)
Many thanks for the fix. I really do not understand why I was not
able to reproduce.

> BTW I noticed the geronimo-clustering-wadi module has a dependency
> on geronimo-jetty.  This is going to make it hard to use with
> jetty6.  Is there some reasonable way to eliminate that dependency?
I see two ways of doing that:
1. we move WADIClusteredHandleInterceptor currently in geronimo-
clustering-wadi in its own module. geronimo-clustering-wadi loses its
dependency on geronimo-jetty and the new module depends on geronimo-
jetty. To support Jetty6, this new module is duplicated and the new
copy depends on geronimo-jetty6; or
2. we try to extract a more generic interface from HandleInterceptor
and we move it to geronimo-clustering. geronimo-clustering-wadi
implements this extracted interface and loses its dependency on
geronimo-jetty.

I would prefer 1. and do 2. when we add support for Tomcat
clustering, if this is a good approach.

In the case of 1., the new WADIClusteredHandleInterceptor must
implement the Jetty6 AbstractClusteredHandleInterceptor.

On another front, I have progressed further the WADI integration:
worker name, i.e. hint for sticky load balancing, is re-enabled; and
Session are imported and exported via the Jetty6 convenience methods.
I had to add a new constructor to AbstractSessionManager.Session such
that it is easier to create a Session with a given ID (required in
the case of an inbound Session migration event). I will send an email
to the Jetty mailing list to see if this convenience constructor can
be added.

Thanks,
Gianny

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.