Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2015/04/21 16:00:01 UTC

[FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Make 32-bit platforms a configure error

We officially stopped supporting 32-bit platforms about 1 year ago, and we currently have no CI or test systems setup for this platform. The suggestions is to make 32-bit platforms a configure time error, such that we won’t even try to compile. For a deprecation time, the suggestion is also to add a new configure option to 6.0.0, which will be removed at a future major release. The new option would be e.g.

	—enable-32bit-platforms

There’s no guarantee that this will work, but we will accept 32-bit fixes going forward, and use the option above for those builds. Developers are not required to assure 32-bit support going forward, and if we end up in a situation where we can not support 32-bit again, we will remove this option.

The Jira for this is

	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3537

Unless we hear otherwise within 1 week, this will be implemented for 6.0.0.

— Leif

Re: [FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Make 32-bit platforms a configure error

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 21, 2015, at 7:00 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> We officially stopped supporting 32-bit platforms about 1 year ago, and we currently have no CI or test systems setup for this platform. The suggestions is to make 32-bit platforms a configure time error, such that we won’t even try to compile. For a deprecation time, the suggestion is also to add a new configure option to 6.0.0, which will be removed at a future major release. The new option would be e.g.
>
> 	—enable-32bit-platforms
>
> There’s no guarantee that this will work, but we will accept 32-bit fixes going forward, and use the option above for those builds. Developers are not required to assure 32-bit support going forward, and if we end up in a situation where we can not support 32-bit again, we will remove this option.
>
> The Jira for this is
>
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3537
>

> Unless we hear otherwise within 1 week, this will be implemented for 6.0.0.

No objections have been made to this, so we will proceed with this proposal.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.