Posted to dev@celix.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/09 18:54:42 UTC

Converting site to Hugo

Hi all,

I have been playing around with Celix its website generation last weekend
and found out that Jekyll is a lot slower compared to Hugo and needs a
lot more dependencies.

To build Celix its website with Jekyll a Ruby environment is needed,
Rubygems needs to be installed and Jekyll with its dependencies need
to be installed (51 dependencies) [1][2].

To build Celix its website with Hugo only the Hugo binary needs to be
downloaded from the Hugo website and this is documented pretty well [3]
(compared to Jekyll).

I have already made a proof of concept with the site converted to Hugo
for which a preview is hosted using Netlify (using my own fork ATM) [4].
(The download page doesn't work because it is a CGI script for the ASF
environment). Where Jekyll took 3.003 seconds to generate the site,
Hugo only needs 420 ms. Because Hugo is a single binary and easy
to install, this makes it easier for other people to contribute as well.

Hugo also includes syntax highlighting so we can remove the current
syntax highlighter. To see the difference, see [5] (old) and [6] (new).

These are the changes I made to convert the site from Jekyll to Hugo: [7]
When no objections are made within the next 72 hours, I'll merge this back
to the celix-site repo and update the Celix Jenkins job to use Hugo as
well.

Greetings,
Roy

[1]
https://github.com/apache/celix-site/blob/78a5783f0627c04cd6a57ba2e13fd51dfd16dc4d/Gemfile.lock
[2] https://jekyllrb.com/docs/installation/
[3] https://gohugo.io/getting-started/installing#binary-cross-platform
[4] https://celix-staging-rlenferink.netlify.com/
[5]
http://celix.apache.org/docs/celix/documents/getting_started/using_services_with_cxx.html
[6]
https://celix-staging-rlenferink.netlify.com/docs/celix/documents/getting_started/using_services_with_cxx.html
[7] https://github.com/apache/celix-site/compare/master...rlenferink:master

Re: Converting site to Hugo

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roy,

Interesting, I think we started with Hugo and moved to Jekyll and are
now back to Hugo.
That being said I think website looks good and also the Hugo input
looks understandable, so +1 from me.

Thanks for picking this up ;)

Greetings,
Pepijn