Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/06 03:51:54 UTC

HiveMind 1.2 progress

Well, there hasn't been much, we've been focusing on 1.1.1.

I'm not satisified with my attempt to convert to Maven2 (in my branch).

But the experiment is useful, I'm going to take another crack at it,
on the trunk.  I'm going to remerge 1.1.1 changes into the trunk, then
convert to Maven2 (but leave all the source folder locations as is,
for the meantime).

On the other hand, I'm getting into crunch mode with a client, so I
won't be able to do a lot with HiveMind for the next few weeks.

I do have a number of ideas I want to pursue for 1.2:

- <module> attribute to control the default builder factory
- A streamlined, smarter injection factory
- <interceptor-sets> ... a way to apply a set of interceptors to many
services (potentially, across many modules)
- Some kind of negotiation between the service extention point,
service lifecycle model, and service implementation builder to handle
negoation on the lifecycle model (i.e., to allow it to be determined
via an annotation on the implementation class), and to handle the
intracacies of event notification support for non-singleton models.

In addition, I want to start introducing an alternate approach to
creating services, one that invokes Java code to build the service
implementation. This may be based on annoations and/or naming
conventions.  I see this ultimately as a way to reduce the amount of
XML in the system, make HiveMind more refactoring friendly, and
improve startup time for complex environments like Tapestry.

I want to seriously considering bumping the minimum release for
HiveMind 1.2 up to JDK 1.5, so that we can embrace annotations.

I've been doing some research on using annotations (on service
interfaces and service interface methods), rather than XML, to drive
interceptor factory behavior.  I'm quite liking it; I've been taking
my own crack at Hibernate integration, using an @Transactional method
interceptor rather than XML to indicate how transactions are managed
for a service method.  I'm finding this to be a good template to move
forward.

Yes, I know I should document these ideas on the wiki.  I'm in a hotel
room right now, not at home.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

RE: HiveMind 1.2 progress

Posted by Jean-Francois Poilpret <jf...@hcm.vnn.vn>.
If you are searching for a "new breed" of build system, you might consider
taking a look at the EL4ANT project (el4ant.sourceforge.net).
Although based on ant, it seems quite powerful and much extensible in a much
easier way than pure ant.

I have just started migrating HiveMind Utilities build system to it, it is
highly probable that HMU next version 0.6.0 will be using it.

Cheers

	Jean-Francois

> I'm not satisified with my attempt to convert to Maven2 (in my branch).
>
> But the experiment is useful, I'm going to take another crack at it,
> on the trunk.  I'm going to remerge 1.1.1 changes into the trunk, then
> convert to Maven2 (but leave all the source folder locations as is,
> for the meantime).

I got twisted feeling by this since i want it (I've switched almost
all my project to maven2) but I'm really scared by the way eclipse
handle maven2 multi-project.
As already said, i hope this will enlight my way to handle that.

> - A streamlined, smarter injection factory

Would you mind argument this a little more...

> - <interceptor-sets> ... a way to apply a set of interceptors to many
> services (potentially, across many modules)

Sounds really useful!

> I want to seriously considering bumping the minimum release for
> HiveMind 1.2 up to JDK 1.5, so that we can embrace annotations.

Definitely a +1 by me.

Regards
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: HiveMind 1.2 progress

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: HiveMind 1.2 progress

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
Dunno how you see the implementation details but I for one would be
happier with annotations in HM 1.2 if using annotations were: an
alternative to some xml, or: a way to do something you couldn't do
before in xml.

That way one could drop in the HM 1.2 jars in and it the app would
still work as before with it's, unmodified,  1.1.1 hivemodule file.

To get the new features one would have to use the new annotations and
optionally one could strip stuff out of the old xml by using some more
new annotaions. Of course once you do that you can't use the file with
the old 1.1.1 jar but that's ok - it's a concious decision by the
programmer.

This would also make Tapestry people's live easier by not forcing them
to change thier modules.

my 2 cents.

Geoff

The Spindle guy.          http://spindle.sf.net
Get help with Spindle:

Re: HiveMind 1.2 progress

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Re: HiveMind 1.2 progress

Posted by Knut Wannheden <kn...@gmail.com>.

Re: HiveMind 1.2 progress

Posted by Juliano Junio Viana <ju...@logicstyle.com>.

RE: HiveMind 1.2 progress

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
We're (at least I'm) talking about HiveMind going forward.  The current
release would still be "supported" of course.

Re: HiveMind 1.2 progress

Posted by Kris Bravo <kr...@corridor-software.us>.

Re: HiveMind 1.2 progress

Posted by Achim Hügen <ac...@gmx.de>.