Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/18 12:16:57 UTC

[1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 Migration]

Hi,

we have had a discussion recently about the path we must follow when
migrating from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 (when this version will be released). Some
tricky points have been raised :

1) Last changes to Attribute(s) have mad impossible to reuse the data stored
in a 1.0.0 ADS. This is my fault, and I think the best thing would be to
revert to the previous names for those classes (it was
LockableAttribute(s)Impl, renamed to Attribute(s)Impl). Of course, I will
also get rid of the added field in Attributes, which is not really critical
(it was added to be compliant with the JNDI interface, to support case
sensitive attributes name, and this is obviously a nonsense in LDAP
context). Last, not least, as those data are serialized, I must be sure that
the serialVersionUID are the same for those serializable classes. This
should do the trick. Did I missed anything ?

2) We have some user who emitted some concern regarding their existing
configuration and data. We should insure that both server.xml and
log4j.properties are not overwritten by the new one. This also include
schemas, and of course, data. I'm pretty confident that we could have a new
installer handling such burdens, but what we need is a volunteer to modify
it and tro check that it works well... Shemas migration could be trickier...
Any volunteer ?

3) Another idea would be to first export all the dataz from the current
1.0.0 install, and reimport them into the new 1.0.1 install. Guess how long
it could take with millions of entries ... However, do we have any user with
more than a few thousands entries ?

4) At this point, it would be good to know about real users, to be sure that
they are not impacted during migration process, and that we can dedicate
some time to support them. Even better if some of the courageous ('First
Mover Advantage') users can be alpha-testers ... wdyt?

5) It would be really great if we can coordinate a release with a newer
version of the site and of the doco. I must admit that Doco has been really
improved since 1.0.0, but the site still suX (tm). Any volunteer?

We are now not so far from this 1.0.1, with some nasty bugs remaining
(referrals, collective attributes, and a few others), so the migration
process should be addressed as soon as possible.

Any advice/idea/criticism/mockery welcomed (well, mockery, not so sure ;)
--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny

Re: [1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 Migration]

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
We might need an eternally unchanging way to specify the version of the
partition database so we can detect version conflict and perform automatic
data migration.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6

Re: [1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 Migration]

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Ole,

Could you remove the following vcard attachment text when you reply? :)

Trustin

http://gleamynode.net/

Re: [1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 Migration]

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
I'm partially volunteering for the site stuff,
in the context of some of the stuff I had to say
regarding documentation earlier.

We may have an immidiate need to get information out
there (Allthough I would say that that immidiate need
should be driven by the need to make user support and
collaboration more efficient - so that if we are
seeing that specific items are slowing us down, then
we should push items that we can say "look here"
with).

What I mean by partially volunteering that is that I
will be creating a process and system around
documenting in microformats, so that precanned
templates can be used around defined documentation
tasks, showing how to use it and suggesting that we
use it.

This way we can document in the microformat we prefer,
specify rules for pulling the document into a larger
context, and were done.

My first thought of a larger context is something like
an Eclipse Help System.

It can be used right out of the box standalone.

However I intend to rebuild the Eclipse help so that
it becomes more of a collaboration portal, where users
can work in Eclipse on their desktop, but their
versioned changes in through the portal for
collaboration.

So I'm mentioning this because I personally am way
more effective documenting in a local desktop eclipse
context.  I'm guessing others feel the same way.

My big concern is once something gets onto Confluence,
how is it going to get reused and updated efficiently.

My personal worka around for that is to just use APT,
put the stuff in my little cookbook microformat, and
point people to that document when they have
questions.

This way I now that later on I can pull my microformat
into a nice html transformation, and assemble it into
a larger context.

This way the works looks professional, gets indexed,
and requires minimum maintenance when it comes to
reformatting, restructuring, restyling, etc.

So I'm just floating this so that we are conscious of
it, so that those that are interested can prepare
their materials with this type of approach in mind for
later.

Start with the end in mind and work backwards.

Cheers,
- Ole

Re: [1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 Migration]

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.