Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Milen P Paskov <mp...@us.ibm.com> on 2011/04/15 16:14:22 UTC

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Hello community,

I would like to bring some more attention to this topic as the module has
taken shape.

The idea behind this module is that university as well as anyone else
interested in VCL will be able to have access to additional resources.
Hardware can be expensive and not everyone can afford to buy some just to
test VCL. Using this module one can set up VCL on a local machine or one on
IBM Cloud and provision images on the IBM Cloud. Images on IBM Cloud can be
modified and saved just like a regular VCL. In addition the module can be
used to increase the capacity of of currently operational VCL.

Currently the module is fully functional with Linux images and can
provision Windows images, but it can not save the Windows images. The
module has been tested within IBM, but we are looking for ways to try and
test on a production VCL.

Best Regards,
Milen Paskov
WSTI Intern
mppaskov@us.ibm.com

From:	Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>
To:	vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:	12/10/2010 02:54 PM
Subject:	Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Hi Xianqing,

Sounds great, look forward to seeing it (hopefully it will get IBM
approval for donation).

Aaron

On 12/10/10 10:49 AM, Xianqing Yu wrote:
> Hello VCL community,
>
> I have been working on a new provisioning module (ccmp module) for VCL.
With this module the VCL will be able to provision instances on the IBM
Developer Could.  Milen Paskov was working on the project, and now I take
over it. I updated the module and now the module is under the testing. I
think we can contribute ccmp module and  documentation relative to the
module to VCL community in January next year.

--

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Posted by Xianqing Yu <yu...@hotmail.com>.
My Comments are following,

Thanks,

Xianqing

IBM WSTI

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
ok, thanks. Probably makes sense to wait the on the clearance document.
Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Xianqing, All,

> [...]

>> IBM WSTI Intern
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Xianqing Yu
>> Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:07 PM
>>
>> To: vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud
>>
>> Hi Aaron:
>>
>> I updated the CCMP code today on JIRA.
>>
>> Here is updated list:
>>
>> Use database_* routines to check or update VCL database.
>> Use is_inblockrequest($computer_id) to check if computer belong to block
>> allocation computer pool.
>> Use is_request_deleted($request_id) to check reservation status.
>> Create power_off function, and use it to power off computers.
>>
>> Again, thank you for your recommendations,
>>
>> Xianqing Yu
>>
>> ------
>> Graduate Research Assistant, Cyber Defense Lab
>> Department of Computer Science
>> North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Posted by Xianqing Yu <yu...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your help.

I will test it out.

Thanks,

Xianqing Yu

IBM WSTI

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Xianqing,

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Xianqing Yu <yu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Aaron:
>
> Thank you for taking time to look at that code. I will update the code very soon according to you suggestion.
>
>> I see your powering off the nodes in certain cases, after each reclaim and at the end of block allocations. Can you explain more about that?
> Because IBM Cloud will charge the IBM Cloud Account for any running machines, no matter if there is user using or not. So in order to minimize the cost, we want to make sure there is no running machines in IBM Cloud when users don't make a reservation. So there are several ways we achieve that.

Makes sense.

> First, when the user end one reservation, VCL daemon would call the load function in CCMP module, load function at this time would check the userid, node's status and block allocation computer table. When load function finds out userid is "vclreload", the node is running, and the node is not inside block allocation computer pool, it would power off the node and return.  So the node would not be reload after the reservation.
>
> Second, the code would power off the node if it detects any errors during provisioning process. For instance, when provisioning request failed, or provisioned instance doesn't get the IP address, or reservation is canceled before the whole load function finishing, the code would initiate power off process to power off the instance and delete it inside IBM Cloud.
>
> Third, we make block allocation works with CCMP module. However, (correct me if I am wrong) currently VCL code would not power off nodes which belong to the block allocation node's pool when block allocation time expired. So we add some codes inside blockrequest.pm to power off those nodes when time expired. In order to avoid interfere other parts of VCL, the code we added would only check the nodes which are using ccmp module as provisioning module.

Cool. I suggest to make a general power_off routine in the ccmp.pm
module, then it can be called from anywhere once the module is loaded,
resulting in a call similar to:

Within ccmp.pm
$self->power_off();

In blockrequest.pm, since this module is not pulling in the full
datastructure we have a couple of options.
short-term - load in the ccmp.pm provisioning module.
eval "use $provisioning_perl_package";
my $power_off_status = eval "&$provisioning_perl_package" .
'::power_off($info->{computertable}->{$cid});';

Long-term solution would be to call the vcl api.

>> In the OS modules, what are main changes there? What version were you working against? I see a lot of little changes, but many may be related to the differences in the version your were working on. Ideally we would want to extend the OS modules to handle what would be needed to work with all the provisioning modules.
>
> The main reason we create a separate OS module is that the instance in IBM Cloud only has one network connection which is public network. And traditional OS module, like Linux module and Windows Module, would fetch both configurations for public ethernet network card and private ethernet network card. So the way we get around this is that our code would always return the public network's configuration when VCL daemon request configuration information for public NIC or private NIC. The OS modules is based on VCL 2.2 OS modules, linux.pm and windows.pm, I may make a lot of changes when I develop and test these modules. So if extend original OS modules is the best way, I can extend both modules, and then send you guys the code to check, sounds good?

Yes I think it would be best to extend the OS modules to handle only 1
nic. This is something we've had in the road map or maybe in a jira
issue.

Aaron

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: The CCMP module for IBM Cloud

Posted by Xianqing Yu <yu...@hotmail.com>.
Andy:

Question about:
my $management_node_keys = $self->data->get_vmhost_profile_datastore_path();

Sorry I forget to mention that. I define the key which management node
should use in datastore path in vmhost profile table. So in that way, users
can define different keys to login to the different IBM accounts. For
instances, there 3 IBM Cloud accounts on the same management node. Different
Cloud accounts have different keys they try to use. So in the vmhost profile
table, we define the IBM Cloud account username, password and the key should
be used.

I think how to design this is still a open quesiton. Generally, different
IBM Cloud account may belong to different organizations, for instance,
different departments own different IBM Cloud accounts for university
scenario, so they would pay billing seperately. They may not want to share
the key to each other and may want to update the keys for different reasons.
So our current method can simplify the user's usage. However, this method
also make the code more complex and make IBM OS modules are more different
from any other OS modules which also only own one NIC.

Thanks,

Xianqing Yu

------
Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.