Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by bansi <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/07 02:58:16 UTC

How to design a framework for implementing rules in JSF/Spring application

We use JSF 1.2 (MyFaces 1.2.2) in the presentation layer, Spring 2.5.3 in the
service layer and Hibernate3.2 as persistence layer.

The java application we are building is mostly CRUD but involves tons of
business rules which needs to be implemented at both presentation and
service layers

We are planning to design a business rule framework so that  developers can
work on individual business rules without stepping on each other  and also
to prevent redundant implementation of the same business rules .
Here are the Goals
Solution Goals:

•	Business rules are implemented in only one piece of code. i.e. Rule is
packaged into a    unit

•	Business rules have an consistent, identifiable form.

•	Rules have to be Abstract
•	View technology like JSF says I want to createManufacturer(Manufacturer
manuf)  passing Manufacturer object as parameter. Then the business rule
framework should go and fetch the rules to do the job of createManufacturer
() and then return the result.
•	Fetch the Rule based on
	Target object
Is the concrete object on which you are performing the Rule for example
Device object
	Operation Type
      Is C R U D  Validate

Proposed Solution:

•	 To have  catalog of  business rules which will have name of the rulewith
parameters and dependencies
•	To have Rule Context designed in such a way that it goes and fetches the
Rule i.e. give me all the Rules from  the RuleContext and the client will
decide which Rule to Apply.

We modeled the business rule framework as a variant of Strategy pattern. But
this approach has limitation in the sense it  requires Rules to be injected
into  the Service Layer Spring Beans .
Then we looked at other design patterns like Command, Visitor but that
doesn’t seems to fit the bill either.
Any pointers/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

RE: How to design a framework for implementing rules in JSF/Spring application

Posted by ma...@accenture.com.
I'm using JBOSS Drools.

Ciao
Mario