Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jeremy Bettis <je...@hksys.com> on 1998/09/09 21:13:15 UTC

mod_proxy/2978: ProxyPass w/ Authentcation gives 407 not 401.

>Number:         2978
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       ProxyPass w/ Authentcation gives 407 not 401.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
In apache 1.2 I had the web server proxy to a specialized web server on the inside of the firewall. Here is the excerpt from srm.conf. This host is unable to do authentication itself. In 1.2 this all worked just fine, now it gives error 407 which the browser doesn't understand, but displays my error page for error 401.  If I turn off auth the proxy works fine, (but not authentcated of course.)

ProxyPass /hks/bugweb http://mercury/hks/bugweb
<Location /hks>
AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/passwd
AuthGroupFile /etc/httpd/conf/group
AuthName "HKS private pages"
AuthType Basic
require group hksftp
</Location>
>How-To-Repeat:
Create 2 web servers,
configure one to proxy to the other using the lines in the description.
Access it with a web browser, I tried IE and Netscape
>Fix:
Change it back to how it used to work or add an option.