Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Steven Jacobs <sj...@ucr.edu> on 2017/01/19 22:06:28 UTC

Google Summer of Code

Hi All,
The Google Summer of Code official start email was sent out today. This can
be a useful opportunity for us as an Apache software. We will probably want
to look at potential Asterix projects to suggest for student proposals.
Steven

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Steven Jacobs <sj...@ucr.edu>.
The first step for getting a project visible to potential students is to
create a JIRA issue detailing the project with the label: GSOC2017
This is how many of the students become aware. Those of you with these
ideas, can you create issues? Here is an example that was discovered and
proposed by a student last year. Basically the two things needed are:
A) The label GSOC2017
B) An Itemized project description
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VXQUERY-188

Steven

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Vignesh Raghunathan <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Sattam Alsubaiee <sa...@gmail.com>.
Great!

Sattam

On Feb 1, 2017 4:58 PM, "Mike Carey" <dt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Indeed - it's a good one - so good that someone's taken it up!  (There is a
UCR student - not talkative on this list - who's been working on this one,
and whom Steven is helping.)

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Sattam Alsubaiee <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Yingyi Bu <bu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Taewoo Kim <wa...@gmail.com>.
@Abdullah: thanks for the comments. It was just an idea. :-)

Best,
Taewoo

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.
Taewoo,
I think this one would be too much for a Google Summer of Code student.

I am not sure if we can do this but if we can have a software testing project, then we can have them create automated unit tests for many of our components (Our Http Server comes to mind). That would be very helpful I think but definitely not very exciting.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Taewoo Kim <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Yingyi Bu <bu...@gmail.com>.