Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Arora, Avinash" <Av...@Level3.com> on 2004/03/24 23:23:35 UTC

log4j.properties

Hi,
  I am using Log4j first time. So my question may appear trivial. What
is difference between log4j.rootCategory and log4j.rootLogger
properties? In the log4j.properties can we specify either of them?

Avinash Arora

Re: log4j.properties

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.
On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 09:23, Arora, Avinash wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am using Log4j first time. So my question may appear trivial. What
> is difference between log4j.rootCategory and log4j.rootLogger
> properties? In the log4j.properties can we specify either of them?

Historically Logger's were known as Categories.  Loggers and Categories
are interchangeable (the Logger class extends from Categroy), but we
strongly recommend to start thinking in terms of Loggers as this is more
inline with the JDK 1.4 logging stuff.

Therefore the 'log4j.rootCategory' and 'log4j.rootLogger' refer to the
same thing, the root Logger.

cheers,

Paul Smith